Pcm2902 Spdif In

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Has anyone here used the PCM2902's digital in?

I build a little board, pretty much as designed in the datasheets

it only works when i send audio in though its l/r analog inputs

i connected a TORX179 to the SPDIF input, and connected a few different devices to it, nothing...

I connected my cabletv box, not on a digital channel, so it was just PCM audio, i connected my xmradio with optical out, which is set to consumer mode no copy prot. nothing....

any ideas?

mitch

>Don't you have to reset the chip..?

uhm.. no. When there are incoming digital data, the chip automatically switch to digital in, as described in the datasheet.
By the way, I have implemented the PCM290x in these soundcards:

http://purebits.com/usbsoundcards.html

and I must say that I never had problems with digital input. Checked with many different sources: CD players, other soundcards, Home Theatre systems..

Try to check the digital signal path from the TORX179 to the digital input in the PCM2902.

BTW, in my project I used the TORX173.

Ciao!

grrr, i cant get squat...

in the windows mixer it shows up as microphone
is that correct?

also, im taking the output of a DIT4096 directly to pin 24 (DIN)
and nothing!!!!!

assuming the output of the DIT4096 is not copy protected, im pretty sure its not, but thats vague in the manual too...

here...

COPY L Status
0 0 Consumer Mode, PRO = 0, COPY = 0, L = 0
0 1 Consumer Mode, PRO = 0, COPY = 0, L = 1
1 0 Consumer Mode, PRO = 0, COPY = 1, L = 0
1 1 Professional Mode, PRO = 1, No Copy Protection

i have it set to, COPY PIN is high, and L PIN is LOW

so the vagueness, does COPY = 1, copy allowed or NO COPY
or is it COPY = 0, allow copy, then what is the L? generation?

i tried pro mode, nothing too!

help!
mitch

When the PCM290x is attached to USB port, Windows will recognize it as an USB audio device and it will appear in your device manager.
First of all, check in device manager if an USB audio device is listed in the category "Controllers, Audio and games". If not, the PCM290x is not working or not recognized by windows.

When installed, the mixer for the PCM 290x supports only wave out and main out, not the input (I mean that the input level cannot be modified by the user).

I read that you get the spdif signal directly from another spdif transmitter. Have you tried also getting the spdif from another source such as a normal CD player?

it shows up as a usb audio, the Analog inputs of the PCM2902 work fine, i attach some audio there, and bingo, its in to the pc

the only other device i got that has spdif out, is my digital catv box, and i tried it on a pcm audio channel...

nada...

oh, i got a slimp3, i could try that...

also, i notice the ic runs a bit warm, not hot, warm

which i think is still odd

thanks for your help, i reall want this to work!
mitch

BINGO

SLIMP3 works!

ok, so now i guess it runs home to momma on copyprotection?

ok, so i got my dit4096 wired wrong???

i need some help figuring that out i guess

back to this crap:

COPY L Status
0 0 Consumer Mode, PRO = 0, COPY = 0, L = 0
0 1 Consumer Mode, PRO = 0, COPY = 0, L = 1
1 0 Consumer Mode, PRO = 0, COPY = 1, L = 0
1 1 Professional Mode, PRO = 1, No Copy Protection

ok, also, when i disconnect the optical cable, it sometimes goes all staticy, any ideas there?

mitch

Paologatto,

Could you please tell me something about the coaxial outputs you created? I've used the same chip for a USB soundcard, but I only have opto out now. I'm afraid that with the 10mA out of the PCM2902, that I can't drive a s/pdif link directly.
So I was thinking about using a transformer.
Could you please comment on that?

Remco Poelstra
P.S. This is the same question as in my other post from yesterday

Hello Thoru,
I didn't use a transformer on the output, to lower the project total price, but I used the 74HC04 as output buffer, following the schematic at this page:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

in the section Simple S/PDIF output without galvanic isolation

Probably the use of a transformer gives better results, but I found that the no-transformer solution works quite well with all the devices that I connected.

This is a picture of the digital section of my project X4:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(click for larger view)

This is a picture of the whole soundcard (analog + digital + front panel with LM3915 Vu-meters):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(click for larger view)

And this is the thing, inside an Hammond enclosure:

(click for larger view)

By the way, I made also a reduced size version of the soundcard, the X2, with only analog input and output:

The X2 PCB, without components:

Bye,
Paolo

Hi !

I've got the same problem with PCM2902 and PCM2906.
It looks like the requested recording sampling rate must match the sampling rate of your source.

second, the PCM2902/6 haven't got an input mixer. that's why some recording tools like record (linux) won't work without a little trick: i give him the output mixer to regulate as input mixer (i don't care because of using his digital out) :) record -i pcm -r 44100

Regards

Jobstens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.