Best R2R dac chip?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have finished a CD-PRO2M kit and would like to incorporate an internal dac. I have read on this site as well as searches on the internet about dacs. The PRO2M will output I2S and EIAJ. I2S is the default and EIAJ would require a software change. Most of my research has been on the TDA1541, TDA1543 and TDA1545a. The TDA1545a requires the EIAJ format. Today I was looking at Burr Brown PCM1704 and I do have two (somewhere) PCM63s. I also have an AD1865n. My choice is an R2R dac with no-oversampling, no receiver and enough output to elimiate any I/V stage. I would really like to be able to run balanced outputs. I am open to all suggestions, but would like to keep it as simple as possible. I realize no-oversampling does produce much noise above 22khz, so oversampling could be ok, but direct I2S or EIAJ. I am also open to a solid state I/V stage.

Kip said:
I have finished a CD-PRO2M kit and would like to incorporate an internal dac. I have read on this site as well as searches on the internet about dacs. The PRO2M will output I2S and EIAJ. I2S is the default and EIAJ would require a software change. Most of my research has been on the TDA1541, TDA1543 and TDA1545a. The TDA1545a requires the EIAJ format. Today I was looking at Burr Brown PCM1704 and I do have two (somewhere) PCM63s. I also have an AD1865n. My choice is an R2R dac with no-oversampling, no receiver and enough output to elimiate any I/V stage. I would really like to be able to run balanced outputs. I am open to all suggestions, but would like to keep it as simple as possible. I realize no-oversampling does produce much noise above 22khz, so oversampling could be ok, but direct I2S or EIAJ. I am also open to a solid state I/V stage.

Hi

I'd suggest PCM1704. Accepts direct clock input hence the cleanest clock available will directly take care of conversion (see datasheet)

Needless to say that the currently present clock at the CDpro can be bettered......The rest of the drive is very OK

cheers

Kip said:
Is there a circuit that you could recommend for the PCM1704? Maybe an evaluation board from Burr Brown. Is it possible to do 0x oversampling with this dac? Has anyone done it? Thank you for the suggestion.

Hi

Follow the datasheet, one could hardly speak of schematic. I like low jitter clocks, and clean shunt regs for all supplies. Ofcourse ignore BB's layout reccomandations.....

No NOS experience yet with this IC

success

I have read on the internet that some are using the TDA1543 and TDA1545 with the current output and using a resistor to convert to voltage. I think a single chip is good for .6 volts. I don't think balanced is possible unless there is and I/V stage. If I get a chip with voltage output then maybe this is easier. I am not opposed to an I/V stage, I prefer a balanced class A output. I have a fully balanced amplifier. I want to build a R2R 0x oversampling dac with a class A balanced out. My CD-PRO2m will output I2S or EIAJ format and I want to go directly into the dac chip from the PRO. Other then that I am flexable.

Konnichiwa,

Kip said:
My choice is an R2R dac with no-oversampling, no receiver and enough output to elimiate any I/V stage.

There is not really any such device. From experience the best sounding R2R DAC is PCM63, the one closest to your requirements is however the PCM56 which will tolerate up to 1K I/V Resistor and therefor will output up to 1V Peak with passive I/V conversion.

The TDA1541, 1543 & 1545 are not R2R DAC's. I fail to understand why you insist on R2R devices? You exclude the very DAC's you should be looking at most.

The TDA1541 is IMHO the best sounding DAC for CD replay FULL STOP. It MUST have a well designed analog stage.

The TDA1545 sounds a lot like a 1541, but not quite as good, most of the 1541's limitations apply and the generally 1545A uses EIAJ input format.

The TDA1543 sounds okay, but hardly great (compared to others and again IMHO) but it can give nearly full CD Standard output with a passive output stage, can run easily of batteries and is dirt cheap.

For your use and given your skills level building something with multiple TDA1543 in parallel is likely the better choice.

Sayonara

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Best R2R dac chip?

Kuei Yang Wang said:

The TDA1541, 1543 & 1545 are not R2R DAC's. I fail to understand why you insist on R2R devices? You exclude the very DAC's you should be looking at most.

You said this on more than one occasion but despite being not full R2R DAC chips they can be grouped under "non-1bit" classical bipolar ( except 1545a which is CMOS ) DAC chips. They are more R2R than any 1 bit DAC chip anyway ;)

Re: Re: Re: Best R2R dac chip?

Konnichiwa,

jean-paul said:
You said this on more than one occasion but despite being not full R2R DAC chips they can be grouped under "non-1bit" classical bipolar ( except 1545a which is CMOS ) DAC chips. They are more R2R than any 1 bit DAC chip anyway ;)

Yes, they are "multibit" Chips, however their operation internally drastically differs from R2R Architectures, by using a mixture of active switched current sources for the lower bits and multiemitter transistor current dividers for the upper bits. The operation methodes between R2R and the Philips devices could not be more different.

Sayonara

jwb said:
Oh, I see. A resistor is an I/V converter, just a really, really simple (and bad) one.

NO, it is one of the best available. Also in traditional I/V converters (the opamp based ones) the resistor is crucial (among the opamp).

The fact that they don't perfom well in the passive solution, is because they are not driven by infinite impedance, in the case of for example a PCM63 (estimated 1 k-ohm).

Don't blame the resistor............

cheers

Burr Brown PCM 1704/Esoteric D-01 - R-2R A/D vs. D/A converter

Hi all, it's been ages since I've been here, but I'm trying to do in reverse what I have here, and this is a shot in the dark. I realize this post is very old, but those chips are still made today and maybe someone is following this thread who knows the answer.

I own 2 Esoteric D-01 DACs which use multiple PCM 1704s, which are R-2R converters. The Esoterics are the best DACs ever made, in my opinion, at least I've never heard anything better to my ears and I've been in the hifi business for 35 years.

I'm looking for the same thing in reverse. I realize there's lots of engineers out there, but I'm looking for a product. The best sounding R-2R ANALOG TO DIGITAL (not digital to analog) converters. Everything seems to be based on Delta-Sigma chips, which I've heard in DACs but not ADCs so I can't say for sure, but I do know I don't like Delta-Sigma DACs.

DOES ANYONE MAKE A VERY HIGH END A/D CONVERTER USING R-2R CHIPS? Either 2 channel, multichannel, whatever? And who makes it?

I read it's possible on another forum, but either no really good product manufacturer makes one it or they're being smart-*****. The only thing I've found is on Wikipedia, but it doesn't say much:

Resistor ladder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone's knowledgeable input is deeply appreciated. I seem to be going around in circles on Google. Thank you!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.