how is it measuring?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't have very good experience with stand alone Dynamic Signal Analyzer, the oldish HP analyzer in my work place seems to have too high noise floor.

But I have good results working with HP8903B analyzer. Though no FFT feature, its low noise preamp allow me to see -90dBFS signal. Below is the -90dBFS signal from my diy AD1853 DAC, 30KHz bandwidth, ignore vertical scale.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And I'm planning to build a diy low noise preamp and a 30KHz LPF, so that I can skip the 8903.

HI Banana,

this looks like only last two bits are switching.
Measuring such a signal is useless, exept maybe for MSB adjustment, but not to see the result.
-60 dB is better.

TDA1541L@CD960-1.jpg

KONNICHIWA Bernhard SAN

I try again measurement with +20dB amplifier and Roland UA-30.

-60dB 997Hz sin-wave 16bit/44.1KHz input,
It is a result of measurement.
The vertical scale,please subtract 20dB.

The result of measurement is very good.

:)

Attachments

• qqqqq.jpg
    qqqqq.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 278
Jocko Homo said:
-90 dB is usless for distortion, but the more the signal looks like something that you can recognise, the better.

The AD1862 was good in that regard. The B-B DACs, wihtout a MSB trim.........no comment.

Jocko

I found 10% of tested PCM56 very good with adjustment and maybe 2% without, regardless of grade.
They vary a lot.
PCM58 all were a mess, 10 pieces tested.
Differences between TDA1541 are not so big, but the chip is not very good in this respect.

banana said:
I don't have very good experience with stand alone Dynamic Signal Analyzer, the oldish HP analyzer in my work place seems to have too high noise floor.

But I have good results working with HP8903B analyzer. Though no FFT feature, its low noise preamp allow me to see -90dBFS signal. Below is the -90dBFS signal from my diy AD1853 DAC, 30KHz bandwidth, ignore vertical scale.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And I'm planning to build a diy low noise preamp and a 30KHz LPF, so that I can skip the 8903.

Hi Banana

How do you generate the -90dbfs signal ?
I have Cool Edit pro, and a spdif output on my PC card (creative Audigy) but it makes -80dbfs, not less...

Philippe

philbyx said:

Hi Banana

How do you generate the -90dbfs signal ?
I have Cool Edit pro, and a spdif output on my PC card (creative Audigy) but it makes -80dbfs, not less...

Philippe
I generate -90dBFS signal using "DAC Tester", which is kindly provided by a nice guy called Ulas on this forum.

I have problem using the SPDIF out of my cheapo Zoltrix soundcard. So I burn the test track onto a CDR and play it through my DVD player.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.