Blackgate caps out of production, so...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are alternatives that offer the same sound quality and low noise? I've been looking at Muse and Panasonic FM series caps. Are they comparable?

Also, Theta products use a green and silver cap. Anyone know what brand they are?

Thanks for the responses!

Jim

Blackgates claim...

to be the "quietest" caps avalable with upto a -160 db noise floor in some models. Don't you believe marketing? :)

The few times I've used them in preamps in the past, the background did seem to be quieter than with standard caps. What is your experience?

Jim

jwb said:
Hey I have a question. In what way is a Blackgate capacitor "low noise"?

"out of production" - I heard that over 2 years ago for the first time, but so far I haven't seen any supply issues on any version of their caps, nor any price increases (can't really go any higher ;))

Why use them - they sound better than anything else in that form factor. If I can I use Auricaps, but they cost even more and are huge, especially when you need more than a few uF

Nichicon Muse are fine in many applications but when you're building a high grade component, the few extra bucks for a blackgate in a key location isn't going to make much of a difference. It gets expensive with high voltage power supply caps, though, while in a DAC, it's a few dollars. I generally spend far more on face plates and switches than blackgates.

Peter

I believe if you like how they sound you wouldn't hesitate to use them. In digital circuits BG caps are certainly less noisier than other lytic caps available, and its size is its advantage over MKP/foil caps.

I'll look for Rubycon MBZ/MCZ or OSCON but I believe OSCON is a bit noisier than Rubycon, in my opinion.

What noise are we talking about? Are you saying that the capacitor has less self-generated noise when used as a filter in DC applications, or that it filters HF better than other capacitors (and if so, why? lower ESR? magic electrolyte?)

Isn't it possible that Rubycon is stopping production on the Blackgate capacitors simply because the patents have expired? The patents date from 1978. Perhaps Rubycon, with its production expertise, plans to roll this technology into their own line of products.

That would be great...

Is this insider information or just a guess? It's the sound quality I'm after, not the name so whether it's Blackgate, Ninchion, Panasonic or whoever, I don't care as long as they sound really, really good and are extremely quiet for that backer than black background thing. :)

Jim

jwb said:
Isn't it possible that Rubycon is stopping production on the Blackgate capacitors simply because the patents have expired? The patents date from 1978. Perhaps Rubycon, with its production expertise, plans to roll this technology into their own line of products.

Say it ain't so!

What.......the patents have expired.........! Stop production because of that? Heavens, no. What evil capitalists.

If they are available at 25%, it won't be from them. Some cheap copy, somewhere out of China no doubt, with questionable reliability.

Then we can have endless threads about counterfeit Black Gates. Boy, I can't wait!

Yeah, I guess that we will find out.

Jocko

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Then we can have endless threads about counterfeit Black Gates. Boy, I can't wait!

I don't see why there are more likely to be counterfeit BGs in the future because of patent issues. Counterfeits are by definition not respecting the patent, no? This comment doesn't make sense to me

Yes, I was saying the 25% a bit ironically, but there is a chance that Rubycon will sell the same technology cheaper under a different name if they don't have to give a cut to Blackgate. That is a true cost savings that they may decide to pass along for their own (not altruistic) reasons such as expanding the market or some such. There isn't a lot of reason to assume that they necessarily cost many times the price of a conventional cap to make is there?

Don't different countries have different lengths of time that patents apply?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Facts

Rubycon stopped producing Black Gate capacitors for Jelmax company because Rubycon adapted its production lines for producing organic semiconductor capacitors ( for computer mainboards ) so demand can be satisfied. Volumes of those caps are way bigger than caps for audio and thus more profitable for Rubycon.

Jelmax even wanted dealers to sign a petition for convincing Rubycon to continue production of BG. Jelmax is a trading company that owns the patents of BG but outsources production to other companies like Rubycon.

Dealers of BG were informed of all this, it has nothing to do with patents AFAIK.

There is still stock of BG so availability isn't a problem ( yet ).

I am a blackgate dealer and it is true, however some values could still be ordered due to large quantitys.

However, I would not use blackgates anymore in any of my projects unless it is a value that I really need that no one else can fullfill. I would use the Rubycon ZA/ZL caps for a direct, and superoior replacement. They sound faster, cleaner, and provide better clarity/vividness. These are far better than the N series BG. I have tested mulitple upon multiple of times and the BG sounds slow and constricted. They are also much better than the Panny FC and the Os-Con. Those other caps just dont have the true naturalness and sound quality in my findings. Thanks

Doug
Reference Audio Mods

Specs do not really mean anything I am finding out. It has to do with the material inside the cap. I have a whole bag of MBZ caps and have done extensive tests and they sound pretty bad in my opinion. No life in the music. They might be better for video circuitry because of the ESR ratings. I will try these in that application. We constantly try new caps all the time. so far we are the most impressed by the ZA/ZL. I recommed using them in PCI audio cards applications and computer boards. (alot of manufacturuers use these on the motherboards).

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Crazy_D said:
I am a blackgate dealer and it is true, however some values could still be ordered due to large quantitys.

However, I would not use blackgates anymore in any of my projects unless it is a value that I really need that no one else can fullfill. I would use the Rubycon ZA/ZL caps for a direct, and superoior replacement. They sound faster, cleaner, and provide better clarity/vividness. These are far better than the N series BG. I have tested mulitple upon multiple of times and the BG sounds slow and constricted. They are also much better than the Panny FC and the Os-Con. Those other caps just dont have the true naturalness and sound quality in my findings. Thanks

Doug
Reference Audio Mods

This is from your website:

Finally, a solution for the dreaded Electrolytic capacitor! The Black Gate capacitor is absolutely positively the best sounding in the world. Replacing stock electrolytic in your CD player, transport, dac, preamp, or amp will provide sonic improvement simply unattainable without. A quote from Peter Qvortrup from Audionote-UK "The Black Gate capacitor is the single biggest improvement to digital in the last 15 years" -We couldn't agree more! It is time to finally hear what you've been missing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.