A clear winner? CD63SE/RCD951/Alpha 7se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi forum.

Just looking to get another cd player off eBay and wondered if there was one of the above that is clearly the better cdp (as opposed to best for modding).

In no particular order:

Marantz CD 63se
Rotel RCD 951
Arcam Alpha 7se

I've heard none of these and realise that it's a contentious question but have nothing to lose in asking either.

Cheers all :D

*edit: the Arcam is a US model (110V) that comes with a step up transformer (240V), how if at all would this affect the sound?

Hi Lazyfly,

Marantz is very easy for access, with 'clean' PCB and neat wires / ribbon cables. It is the best choice if you are going to remove the PCB and mechanism a number of times. The PCB quality is very high and suitable for many soldering / desoldering attempts.

Rotel has better chipset and higher quality components, but it is messy inside, however very good!

Arcam I have not modified - I think it's too plasticky and overpriced and I refuse to touch it! (but I had a look inside and wondered how they manage to sell it at the price????!!!!)

Regards,
Extreme_Boky

Hi fellas.

Thanks for the replies.

tubenut: 5x the grunt! Far out.

Extreme Boky: thanks for the insight. I'm kind of leaning towards the rotel because of component quality and the machines are a little younger than the 63se. I say that regards to longevity not that the newer model would necessarily sound better.

I'll see what happens in the next couple of days with the bidding though.

Cheers :)

Hi,

I have a Marantz CD63 SE I bought new about 5 years ago. I've been very happy with it.

Rather than go the upgrade and mod route... I found an Adcom GDA 700 DAC with balanced outputs that soulds fantastic! An EASY 2x improvement in sound quality in nearly every dimension. I bought the Adcom GDA700 on eBay for less than the costs of mods for the cd63SE.

It was nice to have an alternative to cutting up the CD63.

Good luck,

-David

I've heard them all.
The Arcam is slightly better than the Rotel in original form.
But I think that the Rotel has more potential if you are going to tweak.
The Rotel 971 is a much better player than the 951.:att'n:
Ultimately, in my scale, and in original form, both the 7SE and the 951 are very bad players.:dead:
I know, you can read otherwise in the mags.:dead:
Pick the Marantz, don't look back.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.