Why Philips CD 723 is a bad base for modding

Hi, I'm very interested in this topic. I own Marantz CD5000 (Philips 753 clone) which uses the same decoder/controller SAA7378.

Unfortunately link with full hack does not work: http://www.ifrance.com/robinetron/cd723/hack/hack_e.html

I've got translation cd723.zip ant there is an article but without any images (schematics!).

Would you like to post somewhere full article with SAA738 bit accuracy hack?

Help with Philips CD 723 and Marantz CD 5000

Hi guys!

After many years I am opening again this issue.

I have bought Philips CD 723 really cheap to replace dead Marantz CD-40 from my second system used in working room. I found it a bit rough sounding and had idea to modify it, but many people said it is not good for modifying.
Today I received e-mail with offer to buy used Marantz CD 5000 which is in great condition. Are they both using same DA converter or not??? According to the photos from the Net they look almost the same inside.

I would be grateful for all suggestions and any data about modifying.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Isn't that CD 723 just about 30 years old? Let it retire in dignity by using its last remaining hours as a transport by putting a DAC on it!
You should congratulate yourself for preserving it this far, but remember the sentiment at the time of purchase: that any decent DAC would cost over $500 while modding might be half that. Now, welcome to 2022 where you can get a top notch California-made DAC (Schiit Modi) for about $100.

Reactions: 1 user