Integrating stereo and HT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to upgrade my analogue stereo system to do CD/SACD and home theatre as well, but I want to keep the signal paths as simple as possible. I have purchased a Pioneer DV-578-s universal player and a Benchmark DAC-1 in the hope that I can get reasonable digital audio quality as well as versatility for a reasonable cost.

As the DAC-1 has a volume control and is designed to drive power amplifiers directly, I don't want to run it through my preamp line stage. I also will require some type of 5.1 channel preamp. Since the DV-578 has analogue outputs for all 5.1 channels, I thought maybe a passive preamp approach could be used for HT listening. So I plan on building a passive preamp/switch box, as shown in the attached drawing. I think I should include the subwoofer channel, even though I am not planning on using it.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach here? Am I missing anything, or should I be allowing for some future upgrade? All ideas and suggestions would be appreciated!

Take care,
Doug

Attachments

• switcher.gif
    switcher.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 66
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.