simple solution needed: how to listen to (digital) music in 2021

Hi!

This might sound stupid, I know. I mostly listend to records and have a nice turntable for that. I also have tons of CD that I cannot listen to because I don't have a player. I also have tons of mp3 files on an old ipod which always runs out of battery and is a PITA with having to use Itunes....

CD seems to be the format of choice for a lot of people yet the selection of available CD Players is quite small .....

What I am looking for is a simple device to store / play my digital files. I'd be willing to *rip* them all and put them on the same device as my mp3s. I've looked around and all I find are crazy expensive network players with wifi access and all kinds of stuff I don't need. I don't want to be bothered with recharging batteries, software updates, system crashes ... you get the idea. Is there a simple device that I can hook up to my amp and that will do nothing but play music for the next 10 years ... :D ?

Use your computer, or buy/find working used one for a good price. Get a dac, new or used with USB input and your done. Rip CD to hard drive with freeware like exactaudio copy and use free foobar 2000 to play files to the dac and to your preamp/amp. This set up will also let you stream music from internet services like Pandora or Spotify also. It's a cheap way to get what you want with a lot of flexibility.

An advantage of the PC method is you can always download and store file is a decent resolution ie 24/96 and playback at a much nearer quality to your vinyl.
Problem is space on the hard drive. I have well over 1500 hours hi rez and NO CD level. Great If you have the equipment tolisten to it. ie for many years speaker manufacturers used tweeters that limited things above beneficial 20k hz frequencies. I personally cannot listen to an inexact lossy CD. 16bit. Spent too many years listening to Live music and vinyl. You can easiuly get used to listening to a better sound that you can listening to a poorer ie cd sound. quote Ben Duncan 1982. Things havent changed much with peoples hearing.

If you’re ok with CD quality, I am most of the time, then a Bluetooth 5.0 device from a computer or phone even would be a simple solution.
I’ve been having decent results from one of the super inexpensive ($2) Bluetooth boards and a low noise power supply.
The range is good, can transmit from another room no problem throughout the entire house really.

Attachments

• 58083879-E480-47BC-876F-0868F8DFB250.jpeg
    58083879-E480-47BC-876F-0868F8DFB250.jpeg
    829.5 KB · Views: 275
Hi! Thanks for your input and advice!
Thing is - I don't want to use a computer to listen to music. I have to work on a computer all day - when I listen to music I don't want to to have to deal with computers or phones. Isn't there any kind of "stand alone" device that can sit next to my amp, stores music and doesn't need any kind of attention?

I have used a small PC - a iBase Signature Book Si-38, running Linux Mint and Clementine music player.
It is so small it can screwed under a shelf and be unseen.
I used a USB DAC. Also it has a slot for a MSATA disc (for the OS) and a HD or SSD for the music files.
Clementine can be controlled by an ap on an Android phone.
It is possible to run it without a screen, I use it with Tiger VNC on my Windows PC.

Desktop PC is the only solution. I did tests on laptops and tablets to determine if solid state hard drives and passive cooling would give quality gains, but found the sound was compromised compared with desktop PC as the source. It seems like overkill but it's the only option for quality.

The brand doesn't matter, as long as it as full size USB.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Start with this thread. Looking for a good not expensive streamer

I rip my CDs to FLAC (dbpoweramp) and stream using MinimServer on a RasPi to Moode on another Raspi with output going to a Schiit DAC. Controlled from my phone using either BubbleUpnp or an app I wrote. But there are plenty of boxed solutions.

I'm ripping my LPs @ 24/192 giving them a gentle de-clicking so I can stream them too...

PCs are so cheap these days - along with the minuscule cost of HDD/ SSD storage - the combo is hard to beat.

PC performance is a non issue; nearly anything still functional with whatever memory it came with will run Daphile with no issue. I'm talking units you couldnt give away, such as the one I'm listening to now - it wont even successfully play a low rez video - but works fine to play music. My amp has USB input.

I have one such unit that would make a fine fan-less PC based player - I'm unwilling to invest $10 in it (for a used replacement 12V to ATX PSU brick) as I couldnt even get $20 for it - after paying $5 for it in a thrift store. That one should have been catch and release...

Andy and Matt: Unfortunately I don't understand most of that you are saying and I don't want to use a PC. So I guess that solution is too complicated for me. I still thank you very much for your ideas!

phase: that sounds interesting. Do you have a picture of your in use? I'd like to see which case you used and which buttons .... also: what will the display show? just text or also album art?

It’s a DIY project in work, but it was made with the intent of having a main front panel, and then a panel over that to cover just the screen and buttons. I have a top cover that I will put on when the front cover is ready. I like to make stuff like that, just haven’t got too it yet, or decided on what look I want. A drill press, and router can get you some neat stuff.

The display shows album art if it’s provided in the file. I like it because it doesn’t use a computer or a phone. I’ve had some odd experiences having a phone too close to my nicer amp so it’s just as well.

I have another setup that uses Bluetooth if I want to preview some new music, and a headphone setup for at my desk that uses a usb DAC, but the digital player is my main setup.

Attachments

• 0A9D1180-69E6-4004-A5D9-96FEBC866F7C.jpeg
    0A9D1180-69E6-4004-A5D9-96FEBC866F7C.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 170
How about a Sony BDP-6700? Yes, I'm suggesting a flimsy plastic Blu Ray player. It plays just about any disc format. As well as any digital file format through a HD/thumbstick plugged into it's USB port or over your home network. It does need to be connected to a monitor to setup wifi. But once that's done it can be controlled from the Sony Music Center app. No need to turn on the tv/monitor. It does not have any analog outputs so you will need a stand alone dac. Streaming services are limited to Spotify and Pandora. And Spotify does require a premium account. I don't think there's any other device that has this combination of features at the low prices you can find these units on the used market.

A decent PC is not that cheap and PCs tend to be noisy in general due to their internal fans.

I recently looked at a kit that would turn a Raspberry Pi into something akin to a Logitech Squeezebox Touch. I seem to recall the total cost was something like $200 for the Pi, SPDIF output board, and enclosure. I can't seem to find the link now, but maybe someone here has it handy.

Tom