Tuning of the Bluesound Node (NT130)

I have tried many years many DIY streamer front ends to feed my various USB-Dacs (currently a modified Soekris DAM1941).

They sounded different, sometimes really good...but it bothered me a lot not being able to use Amazon Music HD with full pcm resolution (so defined as no data reduced bluetooth solutions etc.).

So, finally I bought a Bluesound Node, latest generation. to my surprise it sounds quiet capable out of the box and has all streaming service I want available...and plays my own recording from my NAS very well as well.

So, this little box has really a lot to offer, which I cant match with Rp4 or Alix MPD etc solutions regarding the integration of even Amazon Music HD and all other non-data-reduced streaming services...

while waiting for the firmware update to get USB output going (have to use spdif for the moment), I thought leTs see what we can do to make it really sing...

before I start now ( maybe with this: Bluesound Node 3 (N130) – PD Creative and some Salas Regs), Has anyone started work already on the Bluesound Node and would share his experience...?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi, I am looking of a suitable streamer and I already have tried quite some of them. The Node 2i was not of the required quality. Node 2021 seems to be better but not with the internal DAC. Still waiting and haven't decided to try out the Node 2021....The iFi Zen Stream seems the better sounding alternative but there are still many complaints about stability.

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

It seems that the PSU part around the DAC chip can use improvement just like adding a linear PSU.

Main part of my reluctancy to get one is the complaints I read about the USB file management which seems to be the worst. Can you confirm that?

Last edited:
I am not sure what you mean by USB file mangement. I use the USB port as a digital output, not a storage...once the promise firmware update is there.

I use two sources: My NAS with all kind of PCM recordings and Amazon Music HD. Both work like a charme.

The sound quality is out of the box quiet similar to an Allo Usb Signature with Dietpi/MPD...which means it is good. surprisingly good.

I could imagine that this can play top of the notch with a little bit love and care of the Diyaudio community...like Analog_SA or Peter Daniels maybe ?

I will start to work on it...

So i use a modified dam1941 as a DAC, not the internal DAC of the Node.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It would be the first Node to be able to use USB as an output. Should be a standard feature. The products have found their place on the market but not for audio quality reasons...they are simply very convenient to the average consumer... A jack of all trades but the onboard DACs perform so so which the average consumer does not even notice as features are more important :) If they would have left these away and would have added a second USB port it would be more usable for audiophiles. This is a complaint with many audio players. Just 1 USB port so only USB output to a good DAC or FDA or use the USB as input for local storage. IMHO a built-in handicap, certainly when the manufacturer does not enable the port to be used as an output. For now Bluesound only promised the USB output to be enabled in a firmware update but will they keep their promise or should the buyer wait for the Node 2022?

So for serious audiophiles the question is to either accept a less good sounding device with quite good software and all features working (and accept the need for a better DAC/FDA) or to accept a serious audio device with clunky software and even completely missing features. There seems to be no middle way. Yesterday my eyes fell on a very good product but the manufacturer chose not to bother with a self written app...

I asked OP for the USB file management so the way Bluesound thinks the product should be used. I am told that USB file management is mediocre and way less convenient than all other features. Played with the device but did not have a USB stick with me.

Last edited:
Hi Blitz
I have Bluesound Node 2 and SMSL M400 and SMSL SU-9.
The Blusesound Node 2 is easy to use and doesn't require a USB cable running across your listening room. However, the power supply and the DAC section are really not up to high standard. But then it is quite good price for the purpose.

I have modified the Bluesound Node, routing the internal i2S signal to a outboard HDMI converter board, then I can feed the i2S signal (which have already MQA decoded) to another outboard DAC converter which can take in i2S signal via HDMI socket. That way you only use the Bluesound Node 2 as a front end streamer, but the backend you can use whatever DAC you like and yet can still have full MQA decoding.

The Bluesound Node does have Coaxial output for external DAC, but that would not have MQA ability if you use another DAC which is not a MQA licensed device.

Doing the mod is not so easy as you need to able to solder very fine lead on the pin of the DAC (PCM 5122).

Reactions: 1 user
I connect my Bluesound Node with wired network cable. And I also tried the with wifi network. The main use of my Bluesound Node was only for streaming from Tidal. Controlling or nevigating the Bluesound Node was via a PC on the same network with the Apps downloaded from Bluesound.
I got my Node 2 last year and my unit was with PCM5122. PCM5242 is a better and newer chip.
I have only used the USB port and the Coaxial port couple of times, so I cannot tell you whether they are good or not. They works.
I personally would not use Bluesound Node as the primary DAC as I have other better DACs which are better than Bluesound.
You can see the power supply, the clock and the ananlogue parts of the Node 2 are just Okay, some may say they are below HiFi standard.
However, it is easy to use and sound Okay. I use it everyday in my office providing music to my room.

I have only used the USB port and the Coaxial port couple of times, so I cannot tell you whether they are good or not. They work.

How did you use the USB and Coaxial port, for what exactly?

Edit: the website states that the USB 2.0 Audio Output will be available in the future: " *Available for free with future software update "
NODE - Bluesound

Does your Node support USB audio out already?

Last edited:
My Bluesound is the last version. It has TWO USB ports. One USB A (the standard size USB), and one USB Mini port.
I used the USB A port, plugged in a memory stick which contains music file, and it plays via the Bluesound Node. On the control panel screen you can click on it and it play.
I think you can connect the Mini USB port with your PC and you can play music or streaming from your PC.
Just checked the website you provided, the latest version does not have a mini USB port, but instead there is an HDMI port. I am not sure that HDMI port is for input or output.
The Coaxial jack is for digital output. I used it to hookup another DAC if I don't like to use the internal PCM5122 DAC chip. When used with external DAC, the max sampling freq is limited at 92Khz, not 192Khz.
Mine would not have USB audio output.
If the future update allowing the latest version of the Node 2 has USB output, that I think you can connect an external DAC via USB and not using their internal PCM5242.

I have a SMSL M400 and SU-9. They also don't have USB output, but only USB for connecting to your PC so the USB ports are input port.

Output digital signal to external DAC, best is via i2S (that is HDMI output), or Coaxial (SPDIF).
Output digital signal via USB is a bit more complicated as USB signal transmittion is not as straight forward as i2S or combined signal like SPDIF. Usually via USB inherant higher jitter. Having said that, I know many studio devices are using USB interface for in-out.

USB audio output has been enabled with today's update, compared to the RaspberryPi and/or computer etc. it sounds dull and lifeless.

A/B'ing all day and its painfully obvious.

On the bright side for today I figured out how to get inside. Very easy just use your finger to pry off the metal back panel [held on via magnet], unscrew the two top screws in the back and by hand you can lift off the top, starting from the back. Since I never/ever use BT I went ahead and removed the plugin BT module inside. The OS is very snappy afterwards. But as far as USB audio, for me its a no-go, thanks BS for enabling but more work needs to be done.

With that said, BS-Node uses Arch-Linux, which I know can sound fantastic and being Linux means its very tweakable. Problem is ssh'ing inside is not possible unless you know the password. The port is open though, they just don't want people playing around with the OS so no shared password.

Inside

Screenshot-20211228155627-1075x585.png

Screenshot-20211228155840-997x793.png
bsps.png

Hi Dynobot,

Any news on this one ? I gave it an external PSU, but did not start yet any further to tune it...I guess it runs as well in Linux...so, if the Bluesound guys give the root pw...

BTW...abit offtopic...please forgive:

i want to apply your debian optimization scripts to my dietpi Odroid c2 install...but when i try to instll from this link https://github.com/dynobot/Linux-Audio-Adjustments/raw/master/basic-install.sh i onky get a 404...would be great if this can be used again...i love your work.

Last edited: