An external SSD for music storage

I know there are plenty of computer literate people on this site. I've decided that it is time to create a digital version of my LPs and CDs.

I've got around a thousand LPs and about 100 CDs, I want to convert about 500 of the LPs, I don't need to re-create the LP covers as I have a pictorial memory ( I can visualise all my LPs) I have included the CDs but having recently bought a Marantz CD6007 and IMO it beats the crap out of my previous 63KI and the original 63 - it has superb CD and h/amp boards and from someone who has the same CDP the media player board is the same.

What would I need to hold 500 LPs and around 100CDs and what are the reliable brands to look out for, also what kind of life should I expect from such a unit.

The small silent PC and external SSD would be used exclusively for replaying music and nothing else.

I picked up ~50 CDs this weekend and am in the process of ripping them using EAC - Exact Audio Copy - on a W7 system. I then copy the folders I create for each rip to my NAS.

I have no idea what the SOTA process for ripping vinyl is. For example, do you rip straight to bits, RIAA eq later - or do you choose a preamp and then are stuck with its sound, its particular RIAA implementation permanently across 100's of records?

Is there some program for the PC that's specific for ripping vinyl? Maybe makes a few passes removing any ticks and pops using AI to figure out what's music and what's noise? I have no idea. No vinyl, either!

An SSD can lose data without having been powered up after a while.
So keep those CDs for a backup if you go that route, or some other redundant storage plan.

Flash memory (as is used in an ssd) has its advantages and disadvantages too, can search for that.

Sizes of albums can vary, but always good to use the better, lossless format as Jan mentioned.

I have been using a digital player that is based on a small arm processor that feeds 12s to my dac, also in the same housing. It is basically a computer with usb (flash) memory made to play music and do nothing else. I’m happy with it since it sounds better than any usb input that I have used.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, just curious how flac compresses and is lossless at the same time?

Should we re-rip everything we own in .wav?

Well it's similar to a zip file. You can compress something in a .zip, which makes it smaller, but unpacked you don't lose a single bit, literally.
I don't know the details but I'm sure Wikipedia will tell all.
As to fidelity, there's no advantage to go to huge .wav files.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
An SSD can lose data without having been powered up after a while.

Sometimes a bit falls over, that happens in any memory. Extensive redundancy and error correction will take care of that.
Power up your PC and it loads the system and user files correctly, every time, year after year after year.
Transmit 1Gb files over the internet to your friend and they arrive bit-perfect at the other side. Every time, year after year after year.

Fears of losing bits pop up every now and then, basically because of not understanding how robust these systems are. How often have you experienced that your bank account was $ 1, or $ 1M, short due to a bit falling over? With all those 1000's of banks over the world, billions of accounts, trillions of dollars?
No worries.

Jan

For those volumes of CDs, better to use multiple flash drives, and also cloud storage.
You are looking at storing multiple TB, and SSD for that size are expensive right now.
The sweet spot is 2 - 4 TB HDD, use that to try out whatever you intend to do.
And expect none of these to last reliably over 5 years.
Blank DVDs have gone scarce now.
And all electronics fail after some time.
Bear that in mind when taking a decision.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
and also cloud storage.

That is a nice idea. I have all my user files (and then some) on OneDrive, and I have an identical user file structure on all 4 of my computers. That way, whatever computer I am at, it all looks the same to me.
Cloud storage is super safe with multiple backups and histories, but for additional piece of mind I also have all files local on one of the PCs. It's all synched in near real time of course.

So far I have my music on a separate HDD, maybe I should move that to OneDrive too. I certainly have the space there.

Edit: or throw it all away and get a $ 10 sub on Amazon Music, more music than I ever owned ...

Jan

Super safe to authorities.
:D

But it´s the practical option, so relax and enjoy :(

If concerned enough, you can always buy enough HDD or even a ton of DVDs to make multiple copies, at least two of everything, three would be better, and store them in separate dark dry places, inside mylar bags filled with dry nitrogen.

The Benefits of Using Mylar Bags & How to Use Them – FoodVacBags

They are used to keep food, go figure, for 25/50 years safely.

Unused-unconnected Electronics, even if as delicate and complex as an HDD should stay uncorrupted there.

Typical use is to store, say, rice for >30 years but they also suggest:

Using mylar bags in conjunction with oxygen absorbers can add more time, and in some cases up to 30 years!

Mylar bags have many potential uses:

Prepping: long-term food storage in case of emergencies
Saving valuable paper documents, such as house deeds, legal paperwork or cash
Protecting photos, magazines, comics, sports programs, postcards and books
Camping and hiking
Long-term storage of clothing and shoes
Medium-term storage of herbs and spices
Packaging products such as tea and coffee for sale
Medical and pharmaceutical items
Packaging car/auto parts
Preventing corrosion of ferrous objects, such as nuts and bolts
Storing CDs, vinyl and DVDs
:cool:
Firearms and weapons storage (paired with desiccant/silica gel packs that absorb moisture not oxygen)
Holiday storage
Packing for vacation

Last edited:
jean-paul - I think that means buying a new PC. The whole point of digitising my analogue collection is to make life simple not having to store 500 + LPs, the upkeep of a t/table,RCM, replacing expensive cartridges. OK I'm fit, very fit for my age but that may not always be so. The idea of having a simple monitor, a mini PC, the excellent CD6007 and a pair of speakers and my Oppo 2 h/phones - easy to look after.

I always intended to make 3 copies - one to use, one stashed with a friend and one for my cousin's daughter. I'm not worried about the expense.

jan-didden - I'm going to use the digital player in the 6007, I'm amazed at the quality of playback in the Marantz of the h/phone and CD boards and that's without any mods. It's a big bugger but then it's really a 3-in-one machine. I intend to use flac. As I said I don't need or want the artwork, only the music.

jjasniew - I get really hacked off with comments about clicks and pops etc. - I have LPs I bought in the 70s that are virtually silent, just worn out with playing so many times and that with being in 'altered states'. My wife has 45s she bought in the late 50s that are NM - she is the only person I ever let put on or take off LPs.

phase - exactly, I don't want to have any chance of corruption getting to my music collection.

I'm careful to not let any locals know that I have this extensive LP collection, especially as it's worth quite a lot with the monetisation of vinyl. I knew a few people back in the UK who had their vinyl stolen in the 70s'. Unlikely but possible to have a house fire, easy to grab an external SSD and head for the door or go on vacation and stash the SSD with my friend - losing the hardware, no problem it can be replaced, indeed this is one of the huge advantages of going digital.

phase - bit rot, yes that's why I want to know a ball park figure for SSD life expectancy. Living in Spain I bought a lot of bootleg CDs from the Senegalese who used to visit our favourite bar in Guadix 3 for €5. Most have 'degenerated' but some for whatever reason still play? I'm really hacked off that I didn't make copies using decent CD-Rs.

Off topic but can anyone resurrect an absolutetly blinding Madonna bootleg which is nothing like the kosher version - it's the best dance music I have.

Your comment about pre-amps is relevant, Check out TNT-Audio and the Puffin, the reviewer used a very good vinyl system and didn't notice any degradation in sound. At the moment that is the pre-amp I'm seriously thinking of using. I have a Stereo Coffee volume control which I find is excellent, I need to find out if I can use this rather than any other volume control.

To recap - I bought an Azulle BYTE 3 which is a simple silent mini PC - I don't play games (mind games) I don't watch movies or waste time on the crap known as social media I use it to surf, store bookmarks and for email, I just need to buy some external space, really pleased with it.

I would like to buy the latest iteration - the BYTE 4 to store my music but if anyone can suggest another better solution I'm open to that my mantra is KISS -keep it simple stupid. Money is not the problem, I just want to keep it simple and easy to use and enjoy the music.

I do use a Intel Nuc pc as media player (with JRiver as software) with the data on an external driver, but that drive is everyday backed up to a NAS in Raid 6 and to an other external HD that is connected to an other pc on my home network. I do that automated with scripts (i'm an IT System Engineer as profession) but there are many free backuptools that can do that for you (like this Create Synchronicity: easy, fast, and lightweight backup and synchronization application). Never leave critical data (be it music or others) only on one place without backup, or you may loose it.