An external SSD for music storage

Depends on your situation & how you play your music.

I rip all my CDs to FLAC using dBpoweramp on my main desktop PC, & I also use this to download music onto. This all gets stored on an internal "old type" disc HDD with only Music files on it. I then copy the "finalised" FLAC stuff onto a Sandisc USB3 memory stick, which I only use on my Denon network player. I also make MP3 (fixed at 320kbps LAME) copies on the PC to transfer onto a Sandisc SD card for use in the car, as it can't cope with FLAC! The PC gets backed up to an internal HDD daily & to an external HDD monthly...I think I have a few copies of stuff!!

I used to use a 2.5" HDD powered via the Denon USB port, but got fed up with the noise, & found the thumb drives in a size & cost cheaper than an SSD...so have stuck with that!

I've learned a lot from this thread and it's nice to see people promoting WAV or FLAC without any rancour.

The reason I want to stay with the Marantz CD6007 is that even though it's classed as 'entry level' all who have it including myself are knocked out with the sound and that includes the digital board, that was the deal maker for me.

The fact that you have to use a flash drive is for me a plus - to listen through h/phones all I need is the Marantz a quality flash drive and h/phones - KISS in spades.

It's a piece of cake to install an SSD - here I have a question, remember I'm only going to use the Azulle for music - as I shall back up each day's recording so should I buy a 500GB or 1T? I'm looking at Samsung 870 EVO MZ-77E1TOB and a Samsung flash drive.

The Marantz can handle 8 folder layers
max. of 255 folders
65025 files
must be FAT 16/FAT32 - could someone translate that into layman's terminology - around 500 LPs and maybe 150 CDs/ no artwork nec. I have total pictorial memory recal aka I can sum up an LP/CD in my head and visualise the artwork with ease.

If I'm going to use external flash drive, I might as well use different sticks for different genres. I can put Reggae with Jazz/Jazz Funk: Rock n' Roll with R & B/Blues and Classical alone.

If it turns out like crap then I will buy a music server, money is not the problem, ease of use is my aim.

Many tout streaming services but do they include visuals as well as music and music from the 60s onwards - check out Intermezzo and Stingray Brava - just about every type of music. This is how I got onto EST and Mine Karakami amongst others. Opera/ classical and modern ballet/modern dance, just about every Jazz festival and the concert halls of the world and I get this free as part of my package with Bouygues. That's how I know I would love to visit Berlin and the ampitheatre they have created where friends get together with drinks and food whilst listening to music or the excellent Concertabouw in A'dam or the new concert hall in Hamburg - these TV channels are a must for music lovers, I think you will find they beat the crap out of the streaming services.

I got my internal Samsung EVO 500gb yesterday. Installing was easy but Windows 10 only mentions 'external' SSDs. Can I use this for formatting this 'internal' SSD. My friend Jean-Luc is very savvy having had to learn to use PCs since 1983 but he was stumped trying to find the formatting process for the SSD.

We have got as far as the PC recognising the SSD but that's all, any help will be gratefully received.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
Click Start or windows button,
Select administrative tools, then computer management, then disk management,
Choose the disk, right click then select format,
Then select file system and allocation unit,
Then select quick format ( don't perform a complete format or it'll shorten life or your disk).
Click ok.

So can you see the new ssd in "This PC"?
Formatting new ssd is very simple,
1.right click on "this pc" (or in search tab "Computer management" ) ,
2. Storage
3. Disk management

Attachments

• Screenshot (33).jpg
    Screenshot (33).jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot (34).jpg
    Screenshot (34).jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot (35).jpg
    Screenshot (35).jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot (36).jpg
    Screenshot (36).jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 136
Hi,
Click Start or windows button,
Select administrative tools, then computer management, then disk management,
Choose the disk, right click then select format,
Then select file system and allocation unit,
Then select quick format ( don't perform a complete format or it'll shorten life or your disk).
Click ok.

Merci beaucoup krivium. The last part was a bit different to your protocol but it's installed. I must admit that I hav'nt used Windows for some time and I'm pleasantly surprised with 10 Pro. Now to buy a Puffin and get started.

A lot of comments about SSDs are from those using the hard drive for various different operations. Each LP/CD will be optimized before adding it, so one time only and that's it. I wonder if the longevity of the SSD will be improved?

I shall try the digital volume in the Puffin but I would like to bypass this and see how Chris Daly's Stereo Coffee performs.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Your welcome Black Stuart, Asuslover and HiDave answers were right too.Anyway my pleasure to be of help.

About SSD and longevity, they are different than the HDD we were used to in the past: don't perform defragmentation on them, no low level ( complete) format and i'm not sure giving them 'optimised' block is even nescessary. Those are different animals than HDD really.

That said i've observed on multiple differents computers that once i've got rid of any rotating parts within them ( except 'good' fans ( Noctua) and 'good' semi passive psu (Seasonic)) they sounded 'better' overall. Maybe less vibration make less use of error correction system or something...

Of course this is anecdotal evidence but still.

Last edited:
I've read quite a bit about SSDs because of comments and warnings on this thread and heeded them all. Noctua - I first used this brand of fan about 14 years ago when I bought a Bada hybrid amp to cool the Toshiba mosfets. The amp sat on a slate box with bitumen damping on the sides, it had an open braced back that allowed the fan to pull in cool air - very effective and quiet, can't understand why this simple and effective method wasn't/isn't used on heat producing amps and the like - the inertia effect.

Vibration of all kinds has to have an effect on the end result that's why I chose the tiny silent Azulle and a Samsung SSD and flash drive. I'm still amazed at some seriously expensive gear sitting on expensive 'pretty' or 'awesome' looking tables/platforms which don't really address the problem of vibration.

My Kenwood KD 990 keeps it's original adjustable feet which provide just enough 'give' and these sit on small slate blocks 40 mm which then sit on a slab of 30mm slate. This effectively means the deck 'sees' 70mm of slate. The hollow legs of my platform shelves have washers x 3 with bitumen washers between, top and bottom of each leg, this kills any vibration coming off the floor. The whole rig sits on Norwegian Soundcare feet.

The Marantz CDP has a very flimsy top plate on which I fit another piece of 30mm slate, the same size and the big feet sit on Sorbothane half balls. These measures don't allow vibration to interfere with the CDP. I would only use Sorbothane under something weighty other wise it has a counter-productive effect.

Anecdotal info when presented rationally is always useful. Polished pieces of slate can be bought very cheaply in Spain as can various marble and other stone, easy enough to buy if your going on vacation to that country.

Hello All,

Scanned thru this topic, did not see one thing I consider important mentioned. Perhaps I missed it but FWIW:

Backups - Always keep a copy off site.

That way if there is a fire, flooding or other major disaster, you can recover what you have lost.

Regards,
Greg

Catch 22,
it's always there waiting to get ya. Keep reading positive things about Shannon Parks Puffin, even got an offer of a nearly new one from Oz at a good price with a toslink out but of course Catch 22 popped up - the Azulle doesn't have a toslink input.

Totally pleased with the Azulle BYTE 3 with 500GB Samsung internal SSD and happy to use this for general i/net use.

Correct me if I'm wrong but toslink is going to be the best bet for audio. I've spent a couple of hours looking for a silent mini PC with toslink input and found only one from China.

Any useful info greatly appreciated, the caveat is it has to be a silent PC.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Toslink is very often the worst interface in audio. Only in exceptional cases where attention has been given to overcome the extreme jitter it can work out OK. In standard application of Toslink coax wins most of the time.

BTW the network player you mentioned is probably the Octavio. The DAC chip is so so , it has only wireless and you know what functions best for audio...

Last edited:
VIA, Gigabyte and MSI make low end fanless PC and mainboards. They mostly need a single voltage supply.
See if you get one in your country.
Up to1.4 Ghz, single memory slot, some are as small as credit cards.
You can actually modify a tablet, or even a mobile phone to make a fanless PC.
Old spare cell with a large memory card, streaming over Bluetooth...totally portable...how does that sound?

As for toslink, I have no idea or experience with it, and it may be a brief passing fad rather than a long lasting standard. So I will not say anything about it.

Last edited:
Look for embedded PC, the CPU is generally bonded on to the board. Not replaceable.
VIA had some pictures on their website, car PCs, small computers in car radio size housings and so on.
Similar products are made in Taiwan by others, or at least by companies based in Taiwan.