Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

An external  SSD for music storage
An external  SSD for music storage
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2021, 11:02 AM   #61
HiDave is offline HiDave  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Depends on your situation & how you play your music.

I rip all my CDs to FLAC using dBpoweramp on my main desktop PC, & I also use this to download music onto. This all gets stored on an internal "old type" disc HDD with only Music files on it. I then copy the "finalised" FLAC stuff onto a Sandisc USB3 memory stick, which I only use on my Denon network player. I also make MP3 (fixed at 320kbps LAME) copies on the PC to transfer onto a Sandisc SD card for use in the car, as it can't cope with FLAC! The PC gets backed up to an internal HDD daily & to an external HDD monthly...I think I have a few copies of stuff!!

I used to use a 2.5" HDD powered via the Denon USB port, but got fed up with the noise, & found the thumb drives in a size & cost cheaper than an SSD...so have stuck with that!
Old 21st October 2021, 07:36 PM   #62
Black Stuart is offline Black Stuart  France
diyAudio Member

I've learned a lot from this thread and it's nice to see people promoting WAV or FLAC without any rancour.

The reason I want to stay with the Marantz CD6007 is that even though it's classed as 'entry level' all who have it including myself are knocked out with the sound and that includes the digital board, that was the deal maker for me.

The fact that you have to use a flash drive is for me a plus - to listen through h/phones all I need is the Marantz a quality flash drive and h/phones - KISS in spades.

It's a piece of cake to install an SSD - here I have a question, remember I'm only going to use the Azulle for music - as I shall back up each day's recording so should I buy a 500GB or 1T? I'm looking at Samsung 870 EVO MZ-77E1TOB and a Samsung flash drive.

The Marantz can handle 8 folder layers
max. of 255 folders
65025 files
must be FAT 16/FAT32 - could someone translate that into layman's terminology - around 500 LPs and maybe 150 CDs/ no artwork nec. I have total pictorial memory recal aka I can sum up an LP/CD in my head and visualise the artwork with ease.

If I'm going to use external flash drive, I might as well use different sticks for different genres. I can put Reggae with Jazz/Jazz Funk: Rock n' Roll with R & B/Blues and Classical alone.

If it turns out like crap then I will buy a music server, money is not the problem, ease of use is my aim.

Many tout streaming services but do they include visuals as well as music and music from the 60s onwards - check out Intermezzo and Stingray Brava - just about every type of music. This is how I got onto EST and Mine Karakami amongst others. Opera/ classical and modern ballet/modern dance, just about every Jazz festival and the concert halls of the world and I get this free as part of my package with Bouygues. That's how I know I would love to visit Berlin and the ampitheatre they have created where friends get together with drinks and food whilst listening to music or the excellent Concertabouw in A'dam or the new concert hall in Hamburg - these TV channels are a must for music lovers, I think you will find they beat the crap out of the streaming services.
Old 22nd October 2021, 03:10 AM   #63
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

For visuals try Roon
Music storage calculator
Old 23rd October 2021, 05:29 PM   #64
Black Stuart is offline Black Stuart  France
diyAudio Member

rfbrw,
that calculator was brilliant, thanks a lot.

Re. Roon, no thank you very happy with Intermezzo and Stingray Brava - I get both for free and I doubt that any streaming service, for which I have to pay will give me anywhere near the coverage I get with these two stations.
Old 24th October 2021, 03:15 PM   #65
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago  Catalonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrw View Post
Thanks for storage calculator
  Reply to this post

An external  SSD for music storageHide this!Advertise here!