Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

An external  SSD for music storage
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2021, 02:30 PM   #21
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
the excellent CD6007
Will it function as a USB dac, I see no USB Type B connector, or is it strictly USB memory device playback only ?
Old 28th September 2021, 12:24 AM   #22
Extreme_Boky is online now Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

"The CD6007 features a new Hi-Res D/A conversion. It is equipped with a reference class AK4490 D/A converter, offering two selectable filter options, and provides up to 192-kHz/24-bit and DSD 5.6MHz resolution for optimum musical fidelity with tight bass, pleasant mids and smooth extended highs for CD playback and Hi-Res formats from USB memory stick."

Marantz CD6007 | audiophil-online
Old 28th September 2021, 01:14 AM   #23
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrw View Post
Will it function as a USB dac?
No. USB memory devices only. See page 20 of the manual.
Old 28th September 2021, 02:12 AM   #24
techtool is offline techtool  United States
diyAudio Member

Recently ripped 160 CDs as uncompressed WAV files which took up about 97 GB on my media server.
Your collection should fit on a 500 GB drive if you digitize the LPs at CD quality of 16 bit, 44.1 kHz.
SSD storage is cheap now at about $100/TB and will only get cheaper, so there's no real need to use compression. Samsung SSDs are both good quality and good value. Good luck.
Old 28th September 2021, 02:30 AM   #25
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

As it is USB memory only that changes things quite a bit. The chosen SSD storage device now needs SPDIF somewhere along the line, be it wired or optical. A USB drive will also do but it will not allow for much in the way of control. A Pi with a SPDIF HAT would be one possibility or a NAS with a SPDIF output.

Last edited by rfbrw; 28th September 2021 at 02:38 AM.
Old 28th September 2021, 03:03 AM   #26
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just adding to the good points already made in this forum thread:

- regarding redundancy/backup, I have a rather simple approach which is to always have 2 separate hard drives which both contain my digital music collection. The main hard one is a 3 TB conventional hard drive is attached to my desktop computer, and obviously that's where I do all acquisition - ripping, downloading, etc. The second is a 1TB SSD hard drive installed in a Synology NAS, and that's what my music server accesses for playback.
At the first sign that either one of these drives is failing, I will immediately replace it, copying over all data from the still-functioning hard drive.

- regarding WAV versus FLAC, I advise everyone to go FLAC - regardless of compression considerations - because of reliable tagging! FLAC uses vorbis comment for tag metadata, which is a known, reliable standard, easily read by any/all audio playback applications. WAV, on the other hand, has no formalised tagging standard, only a de facto standard for ID3 tags in the RIFF chunk. What this means is that reading these tags can be a hit-and-miss affair. Sure, your present audio playback system may be able to read the tags, but this might not hold true when you move to a different system in the future. Also, different audio editing applications handle RIFF chunks differently, so you may find that if you open one of your wav files in Sound Forge, for example, then re-save the WAV (for whatever reason) the tag then becomes scrambled or completely blank when read by your audio playback system!
If you really really don't like the idea of lossless compression, then buy a copy of dBpoweramp, which allows completely uncompressed FLAC encodings -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uncompressed-FLAC.jpg (79.5 KB, 162 views)
Old 28th September 2021, 05:40 AM   #27
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart View Post
jean-paul - I think that means buying a new PC.
You mean an internal SSD? I have yet to see the first pc device that has no spare slot for an SSD. Although I detest pc's for music playback and consider it the poorest of choices I have fitted a few Dell pc's with an "audio SSD". Works OK but not my cup of tea as the screen and the noise disturb big time MHO. External devices often have mediocre PSU's, may suffer from theft/loss, defective connectors/cables, cable clutter etc. and copying to USB media appears the easy way out but it isn't. In practice it is not wanting to adapt to network copying to the elder and thus not gaining knowledge. That is standing still.

Suggestion: make sure you have a simple NAS like WD EX2 Ultra with at least 2 drives in RAID 1 and a spare drive when one goes defective. Copy files in FLAC of course. Move optical devices to storage or one will never get the hang of it. A good quality dedicated media player with local storage like an SSD is silent and fit for the job. The NAS is the data tank only for replenishing the local storage of the media player. This is the minimum scenario to limit risk of loss of data I think. Before someone says it... the NAS is officially no back up.

Last edited by jean-paul; 28th September 2021 at 05:50 AM.
Old 28th September 2021, 06:13 AM   #28
cowanaudio is offline cowanaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Backing up is critical. Consider at any time one or two of the hard drives you own could fail. They do. It is inevitable, it's just a waiting game. I've had drives last five years and I've had drives that have lasted less than 100 hours of use. I back up.....a lot! An offsite backup is imperative. I always have two onsite backups as well. If my house burnt down I'd lose the last month or two. I have a close relative who kept ignoring my backup advice who lost over ten years of precious photographs including several overseas holidays. He deleted his backup drive to copy some movies, then his main data drive failed.
Old 28th September 2021, 06:15 AM   #29
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Although experienced I shouldn't so stuff when I have the flue. I deleted my main and backup drive last week almost at the same time when I was feverish. In my defense: I was swapping a NAS for a new one and thought I was formatting the right disks (ahem) en then formatted the right ones (ahem). Could retrieve all data from backup but it happens...to all of us. One day or the other.

Last edited by jean-paul; 28th September 2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old 28th September 2021, 07:18 AM   #30
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

I like to come back to the choice for spending lots of time and effort to convert/multiple backups on your music collection.

I got thinking about the wisdom of that when I spend some time with SY just before the COVID period. We would spend hours playing music, taking turns like 'do you know this one?' or 'remember this?' type discussions.

The source of it all? SY's Amazon Music subscription.
I can tell you, you may have 5000 songs in your collection, but being able to tap 5 million by just typing a name or a term into a search area is like magic!
I still have my collection, but I think it is more out of nostalgia and the stories behind them, than out of security. When I read here about the heroic efforts people go through to safeguard something that is available anywhere anytime for basically free anyway, what's the point?
I don't know how much longer I will drag those drives along.

Jan

An external  SSD for music storageHide this!Advertise here!