New to FLAC files, need advice

Well part of the problem from your first post you do not own the original disk, so your original files may or may not be flawed. I try to purchase and own the music I repeatedly play. This hopefully pays the original artist as well allows me to re-rip the disk if I need to change formats. I have 650 disk on my qnap server ripped in flak format and do not hear any degradation in sound quality on my playback system. I use Roon to deliver “ bit perfect playback” I put that in quotes because it is a marketing statement I am sure there is some loss but not enough to disturb me. Before I used Roon I used Daphile and was quite pleased with it. Today we have so many ways to deliver music lossless with hi-resolution and Convenience it is amazing. Even my hirez portable player with magnetic planer headphones blows away systems costing many thousands of dollars yesterday.

part of the problem from your first post you do not own the original disk, so your original files may or may not be flawed.
In the case of ripped SACD's, these are generally available online as complete ISO's. If the ISO was ripped properly - on a suitably hacked PS3 or Blu-ray player - these should be bit-for-bit copies of the data on the SACD. SACD's contain (encrypted) data blocks, not raw streams, so the ripping process is actually a file-copy process, and this is quite different to how Audio CD's are ripped.

I think the core issue is that the system under discussion relates to an Oppo UDP-203 and BDP-105D. Results will be true for those particular items of hardware.

I can think of one aspect of SACD extraction which might result in faulty playback: SACD's often (but not always) use DST lossless compression, especially if the disc includes both a stereo mix and multi-channel mix. And while there are many software applications which can play back DSD audio files (as .dff or .dsf) many cannot decode the DST compression ...
so to ensure trouble-free playback on a wide range of devices, and to future-proof your DSD collection, it's best to fully uncompress your DSD audio files during extraction. Here's a screenshot of the relevant setting in the sacd_extract GUI -

Attachments

• sacd_extract.jpg
    sacd_extract.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 60