Sony CDP-30 very noisy when spinning

Hi, this morning I found a Sony CDP-30 CD-player on a fleamarket. Couldn't resist for €2,50. I want to compare it to some of my Philips players. It had been in the rain. I dried it, and when I came home I opened the case to let any damp escape. I dried it carefully with a hairdrier, not too close.
To my amazement, it came to life when I hooked it up. It wouldn't read a cd and did not spin. After I cleaned the lense, however, it does read the disk and spins. It reads the index very quickly and the display is functional and shows the disk content. So, there's actually not much wrong with it, I think.

It plays the disk, but makes a scraping noise that sounds like the spindle is not turning freely. Any suggestions?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Avoid using mineral oils on plastic parts. Just a tip. If I understand correctly it is the sliding assembly that makes the noise. Clean the chromed metal rods carefully with isopropyl alcohol and lube them. Use a tiny bit of silicone grease on the plastic tooth wheel slider of the laser assembly (after cleaning of course). Don't touch adjustment potentiometers (yet).

Clean the lense with water with a drop of Dreft in it. Use the cotton sticks and a tiny bit of soap water (the sticks meant for ear cleaning). Make movement in a circle and remove nicotine and debris of decades. Then use a new cotton stick with only a drop of water. Again circling movement till the lense is 100% clean and has the bleuish oily shine again. Normally the cleaning needs to be repeated as dirt of decades really is a pest.

When it plays OK then consider to at least replace the main filter caps for Panasonic FC or the like. Consider replacing IC301/401 for better stuff.

Last edited:
If the noise is a whirring noise that slows done as the player gets nearer to the end of the CD it is likely to be the disc spindle motor. Just one drop of oil administered from the end of a pin is enough. The top bearing takes all the load so that's the important one.

Synthetic or silicon oil would be more suitable.
Motorcycle front fork oil, or clean hydraulic oil (especially synthetic hydraulic oil) will work, they are intended not to attack rubbery parts and stay stable over a long time, the base oil and additives are blended with that use in mind.

Now, to find 10 ml of such oil...!