Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

What is best way to Play an MP3 file on Home Stereo
What is best way to Play an MP3 file on Home Stereo
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2021, 01:38 PM   #1
Timstools777 is offline Timstools777  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default What is best way to Play an MP3 file on Home Stereo

Hi unfortunately I have all my music as downloads to my PC from itunes at there best quality download. I realize this is subpar quality for many of you but I am wondering what is best way to play it through my home stereo for best audio quality?

There are so many options available. I usually just plug my USB stick in my Sony Blu ray player and it does a reasonable job but should I get some music dedicated device instead now I have upgraded my speakers? What about a DAC are they used for this purpose?

I know itunes have a big upgrade to lossless planned. But currently I only have the 256 format.
Regards Tim.

Last edited by Timstools777; 21st July 2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 21st July 2021, 02:24 PM   #2
conanski is offline conanski  Canada
diyAudio Member

Without knowing anything about your audio system Id say you're already getting all the quality possible from those MP3s, a blueray player isn't the limiting factor here it's going to be the audio files themselves.. and the rest of the audio system.
Old 21st July 2021, 03:43 PM   #3
NareshBrd is offline NareshBrd  India
diyAudio Member

Use a PC to output audio, use a connector to your amplifier, and then drive the speakers.
Winamp, Audacity and other programs do allow you to adjust the sound a little, the Sony may not be so flexible.
And of course a large screen can be used to see streamed movies.
Old 21st July 2021, 04:36 PM   #4
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

As the de-facto lossy sound file standard, it's hard to find any device that WON'T play an mp3 file. The quality issue is, by definition, subjective. Reduce the bit rate enough and you'll be able to hear artifacts. Much of my listening is to mp3 formats. When given a choice, I use the higher bit rates. If you listen to enough material, you'll find "problem" songs that might serve as your personal benchmarks. For example, I rarely have a problem with 128K mp3. But years ago, I encoded Collective Soul song "Shine" and I can easily hear distortion at the opening. But 160K or better eliminated it. As storage or transmission gets cheaper, the reason to compress the music decreases equivalently. Sure, if you have room, store everything in a lossless format.
Old 21st July 2021, 08:13 PM   #5
Timstools777 is offline Timstools777  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Use a PC to output audio, use a connector to your amplifier, and then drive the speakers.
Winamp, Audacity and other programs do allow you to adjust the sound a little, the Sony may not be so flexible
Thanks that does sound like a good way to do it.
I wonder if my Chromecast dongle on my TV is a good way to do it and use my phone or tablet to connect to it? One would think if it can handle 4k it can handle music??

It's also nice and convenient and much better audio quality than Bluetooth.
Tim

Last edited by Timstools777; 21st July 2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 22nd July 2021, 06:43 AM   #6
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

One of the ones I use a is Yamaha WXC-50 streaming pre amp mostly with a NAS but there are so many possibilities with inputs and sources. It's App based and the Musiccast app works well.

What is best way to Play an MP3 file on Home StereoHide this!Advertise here!