KSS-240a replacement anti static blob?

Hi All,

I have been trying to replace a KSS-240a unit. I have ordered two KSS-240a units from amazon both are not working. This very well could be because they are probably cheap knockoffs.

I was wondering if there is a static blob or protection method on these units because they both measure shorted (0.2ohm) on the power pot.

On one of the units I have tried adjusting the pot to see if it changes, but it didn't. I am aware that you should not adjust these pots, that's why I just tested this on one unit, so I have one unchanged unit left...

Attachments

• IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 130
It seems you are correct! :) I went to the thrift shop and bought another Sony CD-player. I used the new laser and it works. To bad it uses a different mechanism...

So for future reference and a note to self; the KSS-240a doesn't seem to have a static solder blob...

I’ve recently purchased and installed several modern generic KSS-240A optical pickups. None of them came with a “shorting blob” of solder. I think it isn’t needed because the entire APC control circuit is part of the KSS-240A itself.

Other currently available replacement optical pickups such as KSS-210A do come with the shorting solder blob which must be removed before use. But not the KSS-240A.

-EB