CD Transport Emulation

Ok so you rip the CD to storage. Now at this point you can just play the ripped file using a number of means. But no. You read it back in order to turn it into an eye pattern signal in order to play it through an antiquated CD player. I suppose some people must really miss the FTS function.

Ok so you rip the CD to storage. Now at this point you can just play the ripped file using a number of means. But no. You read it back in order to turn it into an eye pattern signal in order to play it through an antiquated CD player. I suppose some people must really miss the FTS function.
….which is not so far fetched in principle as listening to antiquated tube amps and preamps with antiquated passive loudspeakers. The point is to listen to the antiquated DACs that those antiquated CD players use- and in some instances, especially if we look at something like the Nakamichi 1000 we may be lucky in that it can still be used standalone with an external source - something I am doing already with a DAC 101 with two TDA1541S1 select pair in it.
But for a Sony 779 or 707 with non working laser there’s no chance to listen to it any more. And no, it’s not that there are better DACs today, that is obvious. But, arguably, tube sound is not about its objective THD+N measure is it? Same here.
Plus, I am obviously not talking about a 50$ player, but I don’t know, an Accuphase DP65.
Otherwise, let’s all throw away our vintage gear and just listen to the latest and greatest Hypex D-class self powered set, say like the Kii speakers, with a Volumio box. And mind you, nothing wrong with that, a good friend just spent about 15k in a good set of Hypex loudspeakers, but I am still fascinated with vintage tech.

You do realise i'm taking the ****, right? I thought my sarcasm was pretty plain to see. The thought of essentially acting out a drama each time you play something, just so you can benefit from the 'old timey' nostalgia of putting a disk in a clicking a clicky button, is rather odd to me. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to just to fool yourself. I mean you could just leave it so the CD transport is basically empty and doesnt work at all other than mechanically and the button triggers play on your streamer.

On a serious note though, I would expect the much lower level of performance of the old CD player to dominate vs the extra AD-DA from the Kii. It is not something that is even in the same ballpark as the improvement given by the Kii quality and DSP.

You do realize when you rip a CD you change the file format from redbook to wave or flac etc. and a CD player only decodes redbook.

https://www.bandcds.co.uk/faqs/what...n-an-explanation-of-the-cda-and-cd-da-format/

You can rip the CD as an image though and preserve the data as-written to disk.

--

All else aside, I really like the idea of a solid-state "CD changer". What I like about dedicated devices is the simplicity. You put the CD in, you hit play, it plays. No navigating through folders, no artist/album/genre/track/shuffle menus, no touch screens, no streaming, no wifi, no file formats. I wouldn't mind having something controlled only by some basic left/right/select style buttons. Load up a bunch of "discs", pick your disc, hit play, skip tracks if you want. Done.