Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Sony DVP-S9000ES laser replacement woes
Sony DVP-S9000ES laser replacement woes
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2021, 10:07 AM   #1
gwompki is offline gwompki
diyAudio Member

Default Sony DVP-S9000ES laser replacement woes

Howdy!

I have had a Sony DVP-S9000ES for a couple of years now. It's really great sounding player for red book discs. Ever since I have owned it, it has had the problem recognizing the SACD layer of hybrid CD/SACD discs. I wasn't terribly bothered since I have so few SACD discs. Fast forward to about a month ago and it started having trouble recognizing red book discs as well.

I tried various things such as cleaning the lens with isopropyl alcohol and running through the calibration menu for both CD and SACD discs. Neither seemed to resolve the problem.

I took the plunge last week and bought a replacement laser from eBay from a US seller called Liberty Electronics. It arrived to me on Monday and I began the process of installing it.

I finally got the unit back together on Tuesday and it's now having some severe troubles. I can't get it to recognize any disc, but one DVD that I tried. No CD or SACD. I tried the calibration procedure again and it failed on every disc I tried.

When I insert the disc, it will spin up and then I hear/see the laser unit moving forward in progressive increments. It gets all the way to the end of the CD and then throws an error that just says "Error". I can clearly see the laser is shining as well.

I removed the anti-static solder blob on the laser before reinstalling so I know that is not the issue. Unless I bungled that somehow, but do not believe I did using my Hakko de-soldering station.

Just curious if anyone has encountered this before and what the problem might be. Damaged laser? Incompatible laser? Incorrect reassembly or possibly something damaged during reassembly?

I've read that the unit might need to be calibrated, but haven't found a ton of info on how to do that just yet. Also read that the laser's gain might need to be adjusted but I haven't found those adjustment points just yet either.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. I've been spinning my wheels the past few evenings but still not ready to throw in the towel.
Old 17th April 2021, 01:31 PM   #2
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe the service manual will be of help: SONY DVP-S9000ES SERVICE MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib
Old 18th April 2021, 02:32 AM   #3
electricboyo is offline electricboyo  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you remove the solder blob which shorts out the laser diodes to protect them from static electricity? (ESD).
Look up “laser pickup” and “solder blob” for details.
Old 18th April 2021, 03:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oops, I see you did remove the solder blob.

Next step is to download the service manual and read the “test and adjustment” section. There is a built-in “diagnostic menu” feature which can be used to check and adjust the servo system.

In particular there is an adjustment named “mirror time” which must be set up properly in order for the player to distinguish whether the disc is a DVD or a CD.

Also these players are old enough to develop electrolytic capacitors with high ESD, both in the power supply and on the main logic board.

I recently obtained a totally dead DVP-NS999ES which had a bloated/vented electrolytic capacitor in its main power supply. Recapping got the player to power up. But I also had to replace the optical pickup because it wasn’t recognizing Hybrid SACD/CD discs. Now all is well with it.
Old 18th April 2021, 04:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

My technique for obtaining replacement Sony optical pickups:

1)I made a cross reference of models which use exactly the same optical pickup.
For example, the DVP-NS999ES, DVP-NS755V, and DVP-NS715P all use the KHM-270AAA.

2) I found that “used” DVP-NS715P DVD players are widely available on ebay for prices from $1 to $20 (plus shipping, often about $15). Many of these units turned out to be in perfect working order. I’ve also found them at garage sales and resale stores like Goodwill.

3) Over time I built up a supply of more than 10 spare KHM-270AAA optical pickups. At least 5 of them work 100% perfectly when tested in one of my DVP-NS755V units.

Because I haven’t worked as much with Sony models in the older “DVP-S” series I don’t have a list of other models that use the same optical pickup as your DVP-S9000ES. But I expect there are some “low-end” DVD/CD-only models which share the same optical pickup.

To me, the advantage of “harvesting” optical pickups from donor DVD players is that these pickups are 100% “genuine factory originals” which initially passed all of the manufacturer’s QC. In comparison I don’t know where the optical pickups sold by 3rd party vendors came from. In addition, I can often purchase an entire disc player for less $$$ than the price of a 3rd party optical pickup.

Best wishes and good luck with restoration of your disc player!
Old 18th April 2021, 04:15 PM   #6
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Do you get the expected setup in the auto setup mode and did you try the SACD setup before you replaced a probably perfectly good laser?Taken from the service manual;
You must use the specified test disc otherwise it may not work properly!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 17.13.11.png (382.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 18th April 2021, 06:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Do you have any personal experience using this Sony “auto-adjustment” procedure?

I own 1 DVP-NS999ES and several DVP-NS755V units. Note: The DVP-NS755V is a “mid-priced” DVD/SACD/CD player from the same model years as the high-end DVP-NS999ES.

To date I haven’t ever succeeded at getting this “auto-adjustment” procedure to work for either a single-layer or dual-layer DVD. It does work with a standard CD.

I suspect the auto-adjustment for DVD requires special Sony test discs. I haven’t ever been able to obtain these special DVD test discs. Sony refers to them as the HLX-501 through HLX-507. There are separate part numbers for DVD single-layer, DVD dual-layer, and also NTSC vs. PAL video formats. One of my Sony service manuals also shows a test disc for SACD, the HLXA-509.

I have been successful getting all of my disc players to work by performing one specific adjustment known as “mirror time” or “disc check memory.” This adjustment doesn’t require any special discs. It does require one each of a single-layer DVD, a dual-layer DVD, and a CD. Otherwise I leave the servo parameters at their existing values. By doing this “mirror time” adjustment I have been able to move optical pickups from one player to another and end up with everything functioning well.

-EB
Old 18th April 2021, 07:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I’ve tested the laser diode current (known as Iop) on all the optical pickups I have. These are mostly the KHM-270AAA. All of them measure about the same. They all measure <54 mA which is said to be “within spec.”

Yet some of my optical pickups barely work at all. Others work 100% perfectly, including being able to play hybrid SACD/CD discs.

Optical pickups are rather complex devices both electronically and mechanically. I suspect there are a number of failure causes ***other*** than a “weak laser diode.”

Over a number of years I’ve obtained and repaired several DVP-NS755V units. I’ve also obtained a bunch of DVP-NS715P units because they are easy to find and cheap. The DVP-NS715P model does ***not*** play SACD, but otherwise it is nearly identical to the DVP-NS755V. Both models contain exactly the same optical pickup, the KHM-270AAA.

I recently got my first DVP-NS999ES. It also uses the KHM-270AAA.

I hope to learn more about the root causes of these optical pickup failures.

-EB
Old 20th April 2021, 12:30 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks all for the replies. Definitely some good starting points here. I will get started and report back with my findings.

Glad I came back and actually checked this thread. I thought I had subscribed but did not get any notifications about replies.
Old 20th April 2021, 09:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I spent some time last night running through the various calibration settings mentioned by electricboyo. After running through these it definitely seems to have an easier time reading DVDs but still not able to read CD or SACD. What's interesting is that it can clearly differentiate between a DVD, CD and SACD using the disc type auto check. Also doing the disc check memory / mirror time procedure the values I get back for DVD and CD seem to be within range. 20 for DVD and 40 for CD.

I previously tried the auto-calibration for CDs and SACD with the previous laser and never had any issues, but it still refused to read discs. Now I can get through the auto calibration phase for a single layer DVD, but not CD, SACD or dual laser DVD. It always crashes at the Sled ON adjustment for those types of discs. I'm not sure if the crash is occurring at that step or just before the next step which is Check CLV ON.

I have gone out and looked for sony units that use the KHM-220AAA laser assembly and it does seem there are indeed many bargains to be had from eBay.

Two questions:

1) is it safe to assume that the sled assembly (hopefully using the correct term here) would be identical across all models that use this part?

2) I'm assuming that even though many of these units do not play SACD, as long as the laser is the same it will function as it should in the DVP-S9000ES.

Thanks all.

Sony DVP-S9000ES laser replacement woesHide this!Advertise here!