Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Sony DVP-S9000ES laser replacement woes
Sony DVP-S9000ES laser replacement woes
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2021, 03:18 AM   #21
electricboyo is offline electricboyo  United States
diyAudio Member

I just discovered another reason why a Sony disc player may start playing every hybrid SACD/CD as a standard CD rather than SACD.

I own several Sony DVD/CD/SACD players. Models include DVP-NS500V, DVP-NS755V, DVP-NS775V, DVP-NS975V, DVP-NS90V, and DVP-NS999ES.

I kept finding that one these players would suddenly decide to play only the CD layer of “hybrid” SACD/CD discs.

Background and context:
The remote control has a button to toggle between SACD or CD playback mode.
This button is functional only when a hybrid SACD/CD disc is in the tray and in the “stop” state.
Pressing the button triggers a “re-initialization” of the disc as either SACD or CD.
The indicators on the player itself are a bit confusing as to which layer is actually selected. The on-screen display does a better job of indicating which mode (CD or SACD) is currently active.
Here’s the kicker:
After selecting the CD playback mode then the player will then continue to play ***every*** hybrid SACD/CD disc as a CD.

This is persistent after switching off the power, and in fact even persists after disconnecting the mains power from the player. Evidently the selection of hybrid SACD/CD playback mode is stored in EEPROM.

This was literally driving me insane because I would suddenly realize that all of my hybrid SACD/CD discs were being played back only as a standard CD. I thought there was a problem with the optical pickup. Or that I hadn’t adjusted the servo parameters correctly. Or that there was an intermittent hardware/firmware fault.

To conclude:
When a hybrid SACD/CD is in the tray, stop the playback (press “stop” button) and then confirm that the SACD/CD button on the remote is capable of changing the playback mode between SACD or CD.
Changing the playback mode between SACD vs. CD will require 5 to 20 seconds for each mode change.
Oddly the newer models (DVP-NS775V, DVP-NS975V, DVP-NS90V) perform the mode change more slowly than older models like the DVP-NS500V or DVP-NS755V.

Is this explained in the owner’s manuals?
I’ll have to look that up.

-EB
Old 26th April 2021, 10:10 AM   #22
gwompki is offline gwompki
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all of the advice electriboyo! I will certainly try the steps you mentioned. I performed the disc memory check procedure you referenced a couple of posts back on my previous laser swap. I will try that again as well as the other items you have recommended and will report back.
Old 4th May 2021, 11:57 PM   #23
gwompki is offline gwompki
diyAudio Member

I went through the disc memory check procedure as described and unfortunately still the same results. C'est la vie eh? Thanks again for all of the help and advice. Sure sounds good in my garage.
  Reply to this post

Sony DVP-S9000ES laser replacement woesHide this!Advertise here!