Pi 4 - worth adding a Spdif hat or using as is?

The other problem with RPI is radiated and conducted RFI/EMI. Dacs should have some physical separation from it and or shielding and or galvanic isolation. The sort of stuff iancanada makes.

EDIT: Some people want to try to get the best sound they can. Others just want a cheap, compact player that they can have fun putting together.

Allo USBridge SIG has very clean isolated USB designed exactly for a high quality DAC.

A friend has one and for this price there are way better options. Its better than a standard pi, but if you put the pi in a metal case and use a clean psu and an external usb isolator, you get the same quality for far less money.

Tinker is really a good solution out of box, but if you know how to solder small stuff, the best solution is still a pi3b with desoldered internal switching mode chip and fed by 1.8v, 3.3v and 5v from a linear supply. This with an isolator if you want to go USB or reclocker for I2S is really worth the work. Its FAR better than the USBridge SIG.

Agree that Allo and iancanada dacs can get expensive by the time all is said and done.

Also agree that switching PS are not the best idea for dacs. For analog circuitry LDOs may be not be either.

Shielding RPi is also a good thing. Recently iancanada realized it too, and is now offering his solution.

Always ways to improve dacs it seems.

Last edited:
Yes, depends on the money you want to spend.
I use a TDA1541A with tube output and Allo Kali 22/24Mhz. The biggest improvements aside from psu and clocks was putting the pi in a metal case (only shielded wires for usb/network and I2S come out of this case). This improved the whole thing a lot.
But what most ppl dont do is mod the psu circuits of the pi, the best mod ever for the pi.

A friend has one and for this price there are way better options. Its better than a standard pi, but if you put the pi in a metal case and use a clean psu and an external usb isolator, you get the same quality for far less money.

Tinker is really a good solution out of box, but if you know how to solder small stuff, the best solution is still a pi3b with desoldered internal switching mode chip and fed by 1.8v, 3.3v and 5v from a linear supply. This with an isolator if you want to go USB or reclocker for I2S is really worth the work. Its FAR better than the USBridge SIG.

Can you please give some more details on how to perform this circuit mod? I recently bought an Allo Shanti LPS. I am using the 5v 1A supply for my Topping D50s DAC. I got a Rpi4 8GB. Thinking of getting the Argon V2 case. Am not sure of what OS to use. I mainly want to use the Rpi for YouTube video music. Thanks.

USB is a non-issue but the branded PS for the rpi4 was the noisiest device I have ever had in an audio system, thoroughly unusable. Changing supplies helped some but still not ready for prime time, considering PS issues/noise has to pledged the pi since day 1 I was hoping the rpi4 would solve these but it has the worst issues yet. Anyone gotten satisfactory results with the rpi4?

A few years back, the Pi was really the only compact SBC available. Now there are tons of different ARM options, and in a slightly larger form factor there are Intel based SBC computers as well. I find the latter to be more reliable and stable, so the Pi platform is kind of in my rear mirror for audio work at this point.

For anything audio I use a USB based pro audio recording interface, since they can have relatively clean audio ADC and DACs. I always look for these that have an external PS that is independent of USB bus power. Few bus powered audio interfaces are well filtered, with perhaps the only exception I have personal experience with being the MOTU M4.

Last edited:
USB is a non-issue but the branded PS for the rpi4 was the noisiest device I have ever had in an audio system, thoroughly unusable. Changing supplies helped some but still not ready for prime time, considering PS issues/noise has to pledged the pi since day 1 I was hoping the rpi4 would solve these but it has the worst issues yet. Anyone gotten satisfactory results with the rpi4?

And you measured this noise on the USB output of the RPi ?