Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Pi 4 - worth adding a Spdif hat or using as is?
Pi 4 - worth adding a Spdif hat or using as is?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2021, 02:07 PM   #11
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxGeek View Post
RPI4 USB is very bad implemented. If you use it, better you have some kind of isolation.
There’s nothing wrong at all with the Pi4 USB when used with any decent modern DAC - this is just audiophile paranoia.

USB noise measurements
Old 28th October 2021, 03:21 PM   #12
Indigent Audio is offline Indigent Audio  United States
diyAudio Member

USB is a non-issue but the branded PS for the rpi4 was the noisiest device I have ever had in an audio system, thoroughly unusable. Changing supplies helped some but still not ready for prime time, considering PS issues/noise has to pledged the pi since day 1 I was hoping the rpi4 would solve these but it has the worst issues yet. Anyone gotten satisfactory results with the rpi4?
Old 28th October 2021, 03:50 PM   #13
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

A few years back, the Pi was really the only compact SBC available. Now there are tons of different ARM options, and in a slightly larger form factor there are Intel based SBC computers as well. I find the latter to be more reliable and stable, so the Pi platform is kind of in my rear mirror for audio work at this point.

For anything audio I use a USB based pro audio recording interface, since they can have relatively clean audio ADC and DACs. I always look for these that have an external PS that is independent of USB bus power. Few bus powered audio interfaces are well filtered, with perhaps the only exception I have personal experience with being the MOTU M4.

Last edited by CharlieLaub; 28th October 2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 28th October 2021, 04:07 PM   #14
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

RPi in general, and RPi-4 in particular, generate a lot of radiated and conducted EMI/RFI. Physical shielding and circuit isolation techniques can help a lot. However, they can add complexity and physical size to a project.
Old 28th October 2021, 05:42 PM   #15
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigent Audio View Post
USB is a non-issue but the branded PS for the rpi4 was the noisiest device I have ever had in an audio system, thoroughly unusable. Changing supplies helped some but still not ready for prime time, considering PS issues/noise has to pledged the pi since day 1 I was hoping the rpi4 would solve these but it has the worst issues yet. Anyone gotten satisfactory results with the rpi4?
And you measured this noise on the USB output of the RPi ?
  Reply to this post

Pi 4 - worth adding a Spdif hat or using as is?Hide this!Advertise here!