Philips CD610ii. Mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Philips CD610ii in great condition, for plastic.
CDM4/19 transport and TDA1543 DAC, only an 8 pin type, I'm guessing it's not as good as the TDA1541?
I have a Marantz player with the larger non A and a Rotel DCD-855 with the (A) that I'll also be having a play with. These are just for learning, I have a Wadia in my main system and a Parasound Pass Labs DAC.

I wanted to use it as a sample player to play around with, Opamps and maybe go a little further.

First I replaced the electrolytic capacitors only changing the value of the main smoothing cap only from 3300uF to 4700uF and the rest same values. Added 0.1uF ceramic capacitors to the regulators. Nothing major here

I then (for the first time ever) added some sockets for the Opamps and put the original LM833 chips in, gave it a good listen for a few hours. Swapped the LM833's out for trusty, brand new, NE5532's (many players similar to this have them).

Straight away they seemed brighter, had the sibilance around 8kHz that does my ears in. I gave it an hour or so but really is like torture to me that sibilance. I replaced back to LM833's. Sibilance was not there, or at least not as sharp.

I replaced the LM833's with the well respected LM4562's.
What have I been doing all these years? What an amazing difference. Sounds like a better player entirely.

The other two a lot more similar and easily can tell it's the same player yet I've 'upgraded' to more expensive players a lot in 25 years and not got that much difference more often than not.

Which OPA Opamps would you recommend? I'll try a couple more for now

I want to build a separate power supply with variable regulation, 317/337 so I can test Opamps at different voltages. I'll dig my scope out and adjust the implementation if needed.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.