SBLive improvement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Using 5V TTL signals is no problem for the CS8412. Unless you use an input transformer (mine is 2:1 or so). I think my SB outputs 0.5 Vpp

The SBlive is not really suitable for high end audio. Even combined with an external DAC (I use my Nonoz III for it). The main problem is that the SB live uses some filters to upsample to 48 kHz (fixed) and to implement bass/treble. The KXproject drivers sound better IMHO (eg. you can omit the bass/treble filters)

Fedde

Yes Fedde, you're right.
I use the KX drivers for a long time and I don't want anything more, as the Creative drivers have more bugs than Windows, those &%$$/%/(%&ing drivers kept %&%/%$&%$%ing my W2k.

The 48khz upsampling is really crap, and it's rather obvious.
I tested an HDCD on my PC (with digital audio extraction, volume at the max.), with my Audio Alchemy connected to my SB Live, and no HDCD.
Really, the bits that get out have a bad "treatment".:clown:

With some tweaks as I made, it gets good, but not high-end of course.
Note: My older SB AWE64 Gold was MUCH better sounding than the Live.
One of the reasons was that the AWE64 had a multi-bit Philips dac (TDA1387, very similar to the TDA1545A).
I only don't use this older board because it's ISA.:xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.