Sony CDP-M33 skipping - not the obvious causes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have "collected" from the recycle centre this mid size CD player Sony CDP-M33. Considering where I found it, it is in excellent cosmetic conditions and also internally is very clean. It has problems though and it is driving me crazy: it randomly skips back and forth in the first three tracks of many CD's.

The pick-up is a classic KSS-240A (still Sony original) but the control loops are "digital" and do the auto calibration. I have thoroughly cleaned the sledge rails, both the steel rod and the white plastic rail; I have cleaned the sledge motor and gears and the pick-up slides on the rails smoothly and with minimal effort. I tried replacing the pick-up with a new replica, but I always get the same result, it skips in the first 10 minutes of playback; after that it plays flawlessly until the outer edge of the disc.

All electrolytic caps are Elna, but none appears to have the slightest hint of leakage; the control board does not have caps at all.

What could be the problem ? I know this player is worth nothing, it is just fun playing with it.

the spindle motor appears to be fine, I have added a drop of watch oil in the bearing and it is very silent and smooth. Moreover the skipping occurs typically after 3 minutes of playback, not at the very beginning.

Just to be on the safe side I have re-soldered all voltage regulators and the socket for the pickup cable on the control board.

I will keep it monitored and see if that *magically* fixed the problem

thanks !

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Monitor the sled motor voltage (solder wires to it for easy access) and watch the voltage as it plays. If the sled sticks then the voltage will start to increase until the motor can overcome the friction and the things jolts forward.

Maybe there is a tiny burr on the gears.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.