Bluetooth or WiFi to separate left right speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can this be done,

I would like to stream music to completely independent left and right receivers. Each channel with its own receiver speaker and battery supply for portable patio speakers.

Forgive me if this is already commercially available or if I missed an already thread on this topic.

Would like to build a system like this with quality speakers, not compact, at least a couple of cu ft per box.

I am a newbe to digital source.

You could probably do it over bluetooth and with class D amplification. Might not be able to do it from a phone if both bluetooth receivers don't appear as the same sound device. Could probably do it in that case from a computer using some audio routing software to play through multiple audio devices at once. If done on the cheap it might not sound too good. Maybe it wouldn't matter if its for a loud party :)

There are som other threads that could be of possible interest:
DSP/Amp board combo that supports 2ch input to mono output with crossover
CSR8675 programming guide w. software and tons of CSR info

This is not as easy to pull off as you would imagine. Sure, there are lots of offerings that as advertised as multi-endpoint (e.g. multi-room) streaming. When that is a stereo signal sent to one room that is distant from another, you only need the playback to be "sort of mostly" happening at the same time.

When you are talking about separate streaming to right and left speakers, suddenly you need the playback to be synchronized to better than 1 millisecond. This is beyond the capabilities of most streaming systems. Why 1 millisecond? It's because of the precedence effect. If you have two sources that are playing the same signal with only delayed, the non-delayed signal seems "louder". When you are playing a stereo signal, what happens is the audio pans over to one side and seems monophonic, as if one speaker stopped working.

I have been working on this very problem for a couple of years using the Gstreamer platform (audio is sent via WiFi) plus some kind of way to synchonize the computers, e.g. via NTP. It works pretty well but only if you get obsessive about this goal. It's not something you can set up like a phone app, you need dedicated Linux hardware and you need to have some knowledge of that OS, programming, etc. If that is you, I can help you get set up and you can give it a try. It also includes DSP crossover filtering, if you were interested in that, e.g. to build an active speaker.

Also, there is a thread on this in the PC forum you might want to read through. Another forum member has also cooked up a scheme to keep speakers tightly synchronized (see his recent posts at the end of that thread).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.