KSS-190A with new laser diode. Applicable for the KSS-151A too.

A member of this forum is realising a device like I did for to check, replace and adjust laser pickups but improved. I wish him success in this project.

My KSS-190a is working well in my CDP-337esd, but another member of this forum with another KSS-190A repaired by me is not working properly as it should. Both laser pickups in the laboratory bench were working equally. This KSS-190A and 151 are a bit tricky to adjust, or it seems to me.

I'd like to practice more with this Sony laser pickups, but are not cheap.

SONY CDP-X77ES | eBay

However, few weeks ago, I bought a KSS-271A like defect, and however it works PERFECTLY. Ebay is lottery, you buys a thing as working, and is defective, and viceversa.

I've found the easiest way to adjust focus gain and tracking gain is to listen closely to the sound the pick-up makes. Turn the pot until you can hear the noise start to increase and then back it off a little. There's a margin for error on these adjustments anyway.
I plan to try connecting an audio amplifier to either the focus or tracking drive signal while playing a disc. That will permit me to “hear” these servo control signals.

These drive signals are mainly in the low audio band. The mechanical resonant frequency of a typical focus/tracking actuator is in the 20 to 50 Hz range.

My goal is to find a better way to adjust the gain of the focus and tracking servo loops for best overall performance. The procedures given in service manuals for adjusting focus/tracking gain never made much sense to me.

-EB

I had my sony ESD 227 checked by service technician and he declared its being "used out" - without measuring voltage on the drive.
Their check was "scating as a result of vibration", literally knocking on it I believe. I also noticed that my ESD 227 knocked on the housing will scate/jump the track.
1) Whats you exprience with KSA151Adrive durability? Ive come across one opinion thathey are more durable than others, but without any further backing except - observations.
2) Do you have any view on possibility to replace the diode in this drive? Diodes are claimed to be available yet I've read that the diode/lens is glued and not possible to be replaced except full laser head replacement.

Hi Malisz: Hi Malisz. KSS-151A and 190A laser pickups are very, like it says in english, "tricky". I say it because though the laser pickup is good, the adjustment is very critical, and a bad adjustment can give a false impression that the laser pickup is bad.
Don't blame the laser pickup by the moment.

By the moment, I'd do these steps:

Lubricate the rails.
Clean the leans.
Meassure the laser current through the 22ohm(I think is 22ohm but I'm not sure) laser resistor. This resistor is in serie with the laser diode. Measure the voltage when the cd is playing. Then, V=I.R, I=V/R.
The laser diode current should be between 55 and 70ma.

Do you have and oscilloscope for to see the RF signal?

I've replaced some laser diodes, but not in a KSS-151A. I hope some one else can replace successfully a laser diode in a KSS-151A with the method I used in the KSS-190A and KSS-271A and 272.
It is not easy, but with practice it is viable.

Best regards

In my experience the KSS-151a is much more durable than average but nothings lasts forever and they have to fail eventually.

The first step is to clean the laser as best you can. Use a cotton bud (q-tip) moistened with window cleaning fluid (not wet!) and then polish to a streak free finish with a clean dry one. Do not use IPA.

On the KSS-151a if you remove the black plastic lens cover and then gently lift the upper lens - you can then gain access to the underside of the upper lens and also the top surface of the lens underneath. Clean both carefully in the same way as described above. This can make a big difference!

You really need to observe the RF eye pattern on a 'scope.

Adjust focus bias to give you the greatest pk-pk amplitude and best eye pattern.

I am happy, that I have resell all compact disc players in the meantime, which are equipped with optical pick up units from SONY's KSS-series - go to
All Diyaudio Threads about not available Optical Pickup's from Sony's KSS-Series
Two things represent a serious deficiency

1) SONY's laser diode SLD 104:
it was the laser diode with the shortest life expectancy from cd players before 1995
Laser Diode Successor of SLD-104U for SONY ESPRIT KSS Series
2) changed suspension of the collimator lens
As I know, only SONY uses a material consist of plastic. The life time is limited by changing the material resp. the compliance

In retrospective - all the time that has been invested here to find repair options to help users who have these laser units in their CD players (unfortunately most of even the very expensive models such as Accuphase, DENON etc.) was nothing but waste.

Why these KSS laser units from the upper price class have not been available for about 15-20 years is clear evidence of the poor quality.
Sometimes there are find offers for a lot of money
NEU SONY KSS-272 A /Lasereinheit/ Original/fur Sony & Accuphase | eBay

And why are laser units like Philips CDM-0 so as 1-4 (not CDM-9 !!!) and SF-91 (Sanyo), several PIONEER models or JVC's OPTIMA series still not hard to find ?
They were hardly ever needed.

Before buying a used CD player, you should make sure under
CD-Player-DAC-Transport List
that no laser unit from KSS series (and no Philips CDM-9 and no CDM-12/VAM12xx - even low realibility) is installed.

It's a shame that the JVC brand was underestimated in terms of workmanship and quality among CD players - not only among users, but also with manufacturers who had to buy CD drives (such as Accuphase and DENON).
If Accuphase had used JVC cd transport units instead of SONY - go to
JVC "EXU-901a" (KRELL KPS-25sc Phase Tech CT-1 CT1) better than VAM1254, CDpro2LF ?
only minor repairs (mostly maintenance) would be necessary on their old models.

Last edited:
Yes. JVC laser pickups are high quality, but one thing is real quality and performance, and other the fame aired by audiophiles and audio gurus.

Sanyo laser pickups, I can't say nothing, I don't have any experience.

Suspension in KSS Sony laser pickup doesn't seem to bad for me. It can be better, of course, but the positive side is that is relatively easy to replace a suspension in this kss laser pickups, and interchangeable.

There is a Sony laser diode that can be another candidate for to replace laser diodes, the SONY SLD105VL.
All the laser diodes I've used are Rohm.

https://www.iccfl.com/product_info.php?cPath=252&products_id=31351&osCsid=fcggek87e3ij3uu0lrf9dtah63

Attachments

• LT022MC-Datashhet.pdf
    45.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Hello I am wondering about OPH32 - I have several failed - so where did you find the laser diode for it? My version is with square plate not like Sharp laser fi 9mm...

Thanks

Hi! OPH32 and similars are still a mysterious, I still not have the good method for to replace and adjust lasers in these kind of laser pickups. Is relatively easy to replace a diode laser and get run a cd, but to perform a good adjust is another history. This one beam laser pickup is different to three beams laser pickups. Is relatively easy to adjust, but I haven't get the perfect point.
Well, I haven't found any square lasers for OPH-32 or 34, but you can place a SDL-3030. Here are. The picture is wrong, but the laser is 9mm.

https://www.iccfl.com/product_info.php?cPath=252&products_id=31354&osCsid=0jf846mm2k8sr35jadm7ttfu61

Another thing, OPH31, 32, and similars suffers from mould in the lens. Clean carefully with cloth for goggles.

And another thing, don't blame prematurely to the laser. Measures power or current, maybe the problem is another thing.

You can use a 5.6mm laser and adapt it, but I've never do it before. But here are done:

A l’atelier... (page 74) - vintage-audio-laser.com

You can use a 5.6mm laser and adapt it, but I've never do it before. But here are done:

A l’atelier... (page 74) - vintage-audio-laser.com

Hi ManoloMos,
I don´t think that it is a 5.6mm laser.
The gentleman from vintage audio laser writes that he uses an APC-Circuit
from a Sony CDP-101 to adapt the laser diode to the OPH-32.
To my knowledge, the Sony uses the Sharp LT022MC.
Maybe it is a matter of common anode or common cathode
of laser and monitor diode and this is the reason why he used the APC.
But he definately did not to use a 5.6mm diode.
AFAIK 5.6mm diodes need much lesser power for brightness.
A new APC needs to be designed.

He did also succesful changes on the BU-1C, also with the Sharp LT022MC,
on a Sony CDP-502:
A l’atelier... (page 54) - vintage-audio-laser.com

Unfortunately the owner of Vintage Audio Laser does not seem to be active @DIYAudio...

What are the possibilities of designing adaptor brackets to replace these old optical pickups with an inexpensive current-production pickup such as the KSS-210A or KSS-213A?

During the past several months I’ve replaced several vintage KSS-240A and KSS-210A pickups with low-cost ($10-20 USD) new “generic” optical pickups.

In every case the new pickup worked better:
1) Much less skipping from vibration and bad spots on discs
2) Textbook perfect eye pattern and P-P RF level
3) “IOP” (laser diode current) of new pickups is 30% lower than old pickups. Typically 35-40mA for new pickup vs. 60-70mA for vintage pickup. To me this would suggest the laser diode will have a very long life expectancy.
4) New pickup will play every burned CD and will play the CD layer of “hybrid SACD/CD” discs. Sometimes a vintage pickup fails to play these discs.​

In summary:
These new optical pickups perform very well and their cost is very low.

I’m at the point of simply replacing every old KSS-240A I encounter, even if the old pickup is still “somewhat” functional. Old KSS-240A pickups tend to be “vibration sensitive” even though their RF level & eye pattern are still in-spec. But a new KSS-240A in that same CD player is nearly immune to skipping when the CD player’s case or front panel is tapped with one’s finger.

Note: KSS-240A & KSS-210A have similar optics & physical dimensions. But the following items are different:
KSS-240A has internal photodiode preamplifier
KSS-210A uses external photodiode preamplifier​

I think the KSS-210A (or KSS-213A) will be a functional replacement for most of the vintage 3-beam pickups.

The required project is to fabricate the adaptor brackets to attach a KSS-210A type pickup to the existing sled.

-GD

I would say no chance for an adaptor bracket,
at least for the Sony-based machines of the eighties.
Diodes, photodiodes, the coils for driving the lens
have different specs.
And I have players like the Toshiba XR-70 (1984)
Nakamichi-OMS5EII 1986 (Sony based)
that read burned CDs withouit errors.
I think even my Sony CDP-101 plays CD-R flawlessy.
On Sony-based machines from the nineties it might work.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, no.
I bought a lot of Sharp LT-022MC Diodes,
they were counterfeits. 10 out of 40 did give enough power.

I wrote somewhere before that I have adapter brass rings
to fit the common 5.6mm housing of totay into the classical 9mm
of the classical players.
The OPH-32 was very common,
because the player, Toshiba XR-Z70 / XR-Z50 was built in many variants
for other brands, i.e. Alpine or Kenwood, Nakamichi

AFAIK we will not find original working diodes anymore.
On the other hand, in the beginning og the CD-age, there were not so many
diodes around. AFAIK it was the Sharp LT022MC:
Sharp OPH-32, Sony KSS-100, KSS-123, BU-1, Philips CDM0/1

LT022MC datasheet

Maybe e could go with existing ones
Besides power, laser diodes (better laser diode and monitor diode in one can) differed how the laser diode and monitor
diode are connected, common anode or cathode

QSI laser produces 780nm laser diodes
that offer different laser /monitor diode connections:

http://qsilaser.com/download/Infra_Red/QL78F8SX_2019.pdf

Beam divergence seems better, I do not know yet if this is good or bad.

But maybe the can be fitted, with mechanical mods
(adapter ring and adapter pcb) and electrical mod (APC has to be altered)

Maybe, we could start a database of the first / second generation players`APC