Opinion on some 'old' and new DAC chips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just like to hear some options from people who know/compared some DAc chips. Of course the design around it has a big influence as well, but I like to hear some general ideas.

I have some ICs available and and planning to build one or 2 DACs. Probably one with a "new generation" probably dual PCM1794 or ESS and one with old generation (options I have available are TDA1541 (not 'A'), TDA1543, TDA1549, PCM1702)

Any opinions/suggestions with respect to this list ?

Is your music all 44k1/16? If so then TDA1541 and -1543 would be my choice from that old generation list. You might also consider adding TDA1387 as its ultra-cheap. If you want high-res (>16bits) then PCM1702 would be where its at.

DAC chips aren't the main deciding factor in how a DAC sounds though, I/V stages and power supplies have a greater influence in my experience.

I like old CDs, but there is a problem in vintage CDs DACs, and is the 11us delay between L and R channels. This is not a audiophile nonsense, if you prest attention, you can notice some rare effect in the hight notes. You can see it in a oscilloscope perfectly, with a test cd with a single tone. There is another problem in some old vintage cds, and is the noise, noise caused for the big amount of op amps in the low pass circuit.
For example, the Pioneer P-DX70 is a clear exponent of this problems. The Sony CDP-502ES have this problems, however, the CDP-502ESII no.
The 11us delay is caused because the audio is decoded directly, without one channel wait for the other for to get out. The sound in the CD is made with frames of L and R channels secuencially, and must be sincronized for the 11us problems don't appear.

About the TDA1541, nothing to criticize. At the begining I did not undertand the I-V out, but then I saw is a good invent.

Not all my source material 44.1k/16, but a significant amount is. Some of the 'older' DAC sound nicer so I would like to have an option where I can select between old and new DAC based on source, or my mood:)

I am aware of the delay, which is sometimes required by some DACs, but I can take that into account with the design.

I read from some people which were very positive about the TD1549, although this is a DAC with integrated oversampling and digital filter (and not a full R2R DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.