CD player modding - Specifically my Denon DCD-820

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've recently acquired a lovely condition Denon DCD-820, as I was keen to see how the old 80s Burr Brown DACs compare to newer examples.

I'm thoroughly impressed with how it sounds - I can usually tell sod all difference between different DACs and players where modern equipment is concerned, but there's a definite difference here. I'm hard-pressed to say whether I actually prefer the sound using the Denon's onboard DAC, or my Audiolab 8200, but it's all good fun and it seems to vary depending on what I listen to.

Now I've read a few threads about people modding older players, and I'm wondering if it's something I should dabble in.

Is there anything I can do to it that will garner a real, noticeable difference?

I've read about things like removing muting transistors, re-capping, changing op-amps etc. The latter is probably beyond my capabilities as an amateur, but I'm interested nonetheless.

Will these changes make any difference, and/or introduce any drawbacks?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

Thank you. I have been reading about the opamps (it looks easier than I first thought). It seems that two common "favourites" are the OPA1642 and OPA627. After looking at the datasheets they seem compatible - is there any reason they wouldn't be?

I'll add a DIP socket so I can easily pop in and out different chips.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The OPA627 is a single rather than dual and so not an option unless you use adapter boards.

I would agree with looking to swap the 4558's though and would perhaps suggest the OPA2134.

One thing to watch (I haven't studied the circuit) is that the 4558 has a low power consumption whereas the NE5532 is quite a bit higher. Although it is all relative and we are only talking milliamps it all adds up and three 5532's pulling 15ma each is quite a bit different to three 4558's pulling say 4 milliamps each.

Have a read at this:
Swapping Op-Amps... you have checked to see it's stable haven't you ?

The OPA2134's should be a straight swap with no issues although they pull around 8 milliamps per package.

The OPA627 is a single rather than dual and so not an option unless you use adapter boards.

That's the kind of info I love this forum for :) I didn't notice that. Thank you! I'll strike it off my list.

I'll have a look at the current requirements as well.

What are your thoughts on using the 1612 / 1642 / LM4562?

Also the 2604? Although I notice that's a lot older.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The 2604 would have been the device to use imo but production was stopped some time ago due to problems when run at its absolute maximum ratings. Although that only affected a tiny minority of applications the device is no longer available and so any you see could well be fakes.

Never ever buy things like semiconductors from anywhere other than authorised distributers.

I haven't used either of the devices you mention and these may not even be available in the big 8 pin DIP packages. So many are SMD only... the data sheet should say what packages are available.

The current issue usually surfaces when the supply is a simple resistor and Zener shunt regulator, something some manufacturers do use.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The LM4562 is the successor of the NE5532 and is excellent in pretty much all respects however some believe (I'm one of them) that bjt input opamps don't always perform as well as FET based type when fed from 'noisy' DAC's. Some evidence in tests done years ago that the transistor input stage can suffer non linearity issues due to the junctions attempting to rectify the high frequency noise. The FET is immune to that.

More brilliant info, thank you. eBay is littered with 2604s so I guess they're all fakes?

For the others, there are eBay listings that promise they're genuine - should these still not be trusted?

So I'm thinking I should try the 2134 - any others you can recommend? Then maybe I'll try the 1612 and 1642 afterwards in the future. I'm happy to give the LM4562 a try, too. Unless it's likely to cause damage of some sort?

Thanks!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
None will cause damage as long as you don't accidently fit a single by mistake which could damage the IC rather than the player.

If you are fitting sockets then try a selection but be sure to give each a fair listen over a few days.

More on the OPA2604 here:
Drop in replacement for NE5532?

And then I posted this some time later:
Drop in replacement for NE5532?

I haven't looked for ages at the status but as far as I know not available...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You would have to study the circuit in detail to try and see what possible mods there might be but one trick I always like to do is to very neatly solder a small 4.7uF 50v cap directly to the supply pins of the chip.

If you do it neatly and form the cap leads first then you can add the cap to the top part of the pin without solder getting to the part that goes in the socket. Wipe the pins with a cotton bud and iso if you try this to remove any flux that might have run.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Pins 4 and 8 are the supply :) Pin 8 is positive, pin 4 negative.

Pins 2 and 3 are the two differential inputs for one half the chip (one amplifier of the two).

The caps gives low impedance supply as close to the chip as possible. Just use ordinary electrolytics, nothing exotic needed.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Like this:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-03 120300.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-12-03 120300.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 74
One more question actually - I was going to measure the frequency response before and after of the player (using a sweep burnt to a CD and Room EQ Wizard) - do you think differences will be measurable this way?

Sadly I don't have a 'scope or any other way of measuring things like jitter.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You will see absolutely no difference whatsoever, even if you use a scope. Strange but true. The differences that are audible are way below the resolving power of a scope trace using a sine wave.

The better opamps will sound different to the 4558's though.

Even a squarewave using the 4558 and a 4562 or 2134 will show no visible difference in a CD player... I've tried ;)

Last sentence and picture. If you fit one channel with 741's and one with LM4562's and overlay the traces there will be no visible difference.

The best sounding audio integrated opamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.