Worth getting a USB DAC for laptop if I only listen to internet radio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sure this has been asked already, but I've googled for a half hour w/o finding an answer.

My HK Soundsticks have gotten flaky so I'm going to replace with better speakers (I hope, the Soundsticks sound pretty darn good), amps, and subwoofer.

If I just listen to internet radio (mp3 I think), will I get an appreciable improvement in sound quality over my laptops 3.5mm analog output?

Noise isn't a problem now, perhaps because I've lost a lot of high freq hearing.

So the improvements would need to be in the areas of general cleanness and clarity.

The sound quality from my laptop's headphone jack seems surprisingly good to my ageing ears.

I've tried an inexpensive USB DAC, but honestly I didn't find it worth the fuss of the extra complexity just to engage in the type of uncritical listening you suggest.

Sure, most laptop sound chips are not going to be high fidelity.

You need a step above, but not something that will be overkill.

I have experience with this USB DAC. It's probably just what you need. Quiet, small, and not too expensive. There is a reason that is continues to be in production!
https://www.amazon.com/HiFiMeDIY-Digital-Analog-Converter-PCM2706/dp/B00CWVDPC0
It's only capable of up to 48k and 16bit, but that is probably just fine for playing internet radio, which is often only in 44.1/16 format.

If you're running your laptop from its mains brick (rather than on battery) you will likely benefit from an isolated USB DAC to give you a reduction in common-mode noise. Unfortunately the cheaper DACs don't include isolation. However you can buy cheap USB isolation modules to add in-line with your USB - ones which aren't specific to audio applications. The audio-specific ones aren't likely to be as cheap.

Thanks everyone, esp Charlie for reminding me about Hifimediy.

I've settled on this one, which from what I've seen so far is unusual in that it lets you use the computer's volume controls.

HiFimeDIY UAE23 USB DAC (Sabre ES9023) | Great sounding DAC

Once you get it, I'm curious how different it sounds from what you have. I have a few computers and sound quality varies widely with the included audio.

I do enjoy better quality audio, even for most podcasts and internet radio.

It will improve substantially , get a cheap but powerful studio grade Audio Interface instead , It can drive low impedance headphones easily.
For the price , Nothing can beat Scarlet Solo from Focusrite
No need of fancy Audio Foolery products.
https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Sc...603990458&sprefix=scarlet,aps,414&sr=8-1&th=1

If you are not willing to get Scarlet solo ( totally not needed for casual listening ) get Creative Labs Sound Blaster Play , for $25 , its no brainer to get Up to 24-bit / 96 kHz.
Yes you will see difference , my laptop has Realtek Audio with DTS , I can immediately noticed improvement with Focus rite.
Again it depends on your headphones , if they are cheap one dont bother.
Something like AKG K92 will make huge difference instead , for 50 bucks , you cannot complain.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.