Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Belt source found for 1980's Yamaha CD player
Belt source found for 1980's Yamaha CD player
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2020, 05:42 PM   #1
pullshocks is offline pullshocks  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Belt source found for 1980's Yamaha CD player

Hello, I have been troubleshooting my old Yamaha single disc CD player, model CDX-500U. Discs would load, but nothing happened when the "play" button was pushed.

I found that the drive belt that moves the laser mechanism had turned into a gooey mess.

I put a rubber band around the pulleys, and that seems to restore the play function

I found the service manual on line. The part number of the belt is CB637830.

I called Yamaha, and they do not have replacements available.

After searching the web for a while I found an Ebay seller listing the belts @ about $11.00 for 2. I ordered them. Hopefully they turn out to be the right ones.
Old 22nd September 2020, 06:01 PM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

First clean off (and dry) the surfaces that the new belt will touch, with a q tip and alcohol.
Keep cleaning until no more belt residue comes off.
Old 28th September 2020, 06:04 PM   #3
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

I used to assume neoprene was stable (its certainly way better than natural rubber), but I looked it up and neoprene products have a 5 to 10 year shelf life, so I suspect there's a lot of old kit out there with this time-bomb in them.

I'm inspired to overhaul my cassette deck (that I hardly ever use but might need at some point), so I can nip this in the bud (at least measure the belts while in the solid state and scrawl the measurements inside the case...)
Old 1st October 2020, 04:47 PM   #4
pullshocks is offline pullshocks  United States
diyAudio Member

Rayma, thanks for that tip. It was a surprisingly hard job to get the pulleys really clean. Icky-poo.

The ebay seller "needitgone" shipped very promptly and the belt seems to fit properly, and the CD player is back in action.

Mark Tillotson, probably a good idea to measure the belts while still intact.
However, where to get the generic belts, I am not sure.

In retrospect I wish I had tried to preserve my cassette player, which I believe also succumbed to deteriorating drive belts.
  Reply to this post

Belt source found for 1980's Yamaha CD playerHide this!Advertise here!