Belt source found for 1980's Yamaha CD player

Hello, I have been troubleshooting my old Yamaha single disc CD player, model CDX-500U. Discs would load, but nothing happened when the "play" button was pushed.

I found that the drive belt that moves the laser mechanism had turned into a gooey mess.

I put a rubber band around the pulleys, and that seems to restore the play function

I found the service manual on line. The part number of the belt is CB637830.

I called Yamaha, and they do not have replacements available.

After searching the web for a while I found an Ebay seller listing the belts @ about $11.00 for 2. I ordered them. Hopefully they turn out to be the right ones.

I used to assume neoprene was stable (its certainly way better than natural rubber), but I looked it up and neoprene products have a 5 to 10 year shelf life, so I suspect there's a lot of old kit out there with this time-bomb in them.

I'm inspired to overhaul my cassette deck (that I hardly ever use but might need at some point), so I can nip this in the bud (at least measure the belts while in the solid state and scrawl the measurements inside the case...)

Rayma, thanks for that tip. It was a surprisingly hard job to get the pulleys really clean. Icky-poo.

The ebay seller "needitgone" shipped very promptly and the belt seems to fit properly, and the CD player is back in action.

Mark Tillotson, probably a good idea to measure the belts while still intact.
However, where to get the generic belts, I am not sure.

In retrospect I wish I had tried to preserve my cassette player, which I believe also succumbed to deteriorating drive belts.