NAD M10 and M33: ultimate mediaplayers?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Does anyone have experience with either one of these models? As a person that likes buttons and displays (and internal SSD) on devices I still use Sony HAP-S1 which is a wonderful device but its antique by 2020 standards. Spinning disks and optical devices really are also dinosaurs by now. IMHO media players with local storage to make one less dependent on streaming providers are a good means for enjoying audio.

However, most modern devices rely exclusively on an app to control it which may be desastrous when the company goes defunct. I had the Olive One to prove me that theory in practice. IR remote control maybe is a tad too old fashioned but being able to actually see what is playing and to use a Play, Pause etc. button is a minimum requirement for me.

So, what are the opinions on these devices? They seem to be quite complete and operating them also seems comparable to classic audio devices.

Last edited:
I've had a number of units (you can see history in motion in the attached photo) The most recent is the Cambridge Streamer which is an excellent unit. I think the Cambridge works well for lossy and the dac in the Modwright Transporter still takes the cake for lossless emotional enjoyment. I like being able to use both units and not worry about burning expensive tubes. Since this photo was taken, I've added a Pass Nutube pre amp. I'm outputting to Purifi with Sparkos buffer. Speakers are Selah Audio Ceramica.

image.php

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've been exposed to two company failures in this stack (Olive and Slimdevices) but feel Cambridge will stand the test of time. Here is a great review of the Cambridge unit YouTube For what it is worth, I still miss Slimdevices and am amazed at how well the Modwright continues to work. The unit is showing its age though, last week I had to replace a bad power supply that drives the front panel. The front panel will eventually fail and I've been thinking of what to do in the future. Modwright is working on a mod for the Cambridge that would replace the op amps in the output stage with a tube section. That could be interesting.

Last edited:
I have not tried the M10 or the new M33, but I did audition the forerunner, a M12 with its matching power amplifier the M22. I liked the user interface which allows access to online streaming services, locally stored files and I believe roon as well. I found no fault in the way it operated, it was responsive and intuitive to me, however, I found the system sound lacking, flat and lifeless, if you like, despite the significant cost of the pairing. I couldn't tell you if this was due to the preamp or the amplification sections.

Its a pity as they are nicely finished items and the software user interface seemed well developed to me. Perhaps I will try the newer M33 unit when it goes on sale this summer.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yes and no. I mean what you mention but I mean these specifically. What I pursue is simple. I just want ease of operation with display, buttons, app and IR remote, local storage, low jitter and excellent sound quality :D These 2 devices by NAD seem OK on paper.

Nothing RPI please. There are numerous threads about those non audio devices and how to make them shine.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I like a lot NAD, and looking forward to listen to their 2500 euros M10 amp as well that makes all and has a display, dsp, stream, good sound as already imputed... sometimes I also fed up with wood boxes !

So, no particular idea, it seems the PA world that ethernet all has won for the best, so no usb anymore !

So the datas are not a problem anymore and the NAS storage is still the way to go for me vs the embeded like in the Olive or else. As far you have an ethernet streamer that we can see everywhere, I will putt all I have (I did that) in an Synology NAS : open to third party streamer and apps and data music and media management without hassle,. Also proof via USB outputt if you want.

If I had 2500 euros I do myself a favor with the M10 if that streams on ethernet local network wifi or cable -I use cat5 or 6 without gnd return from the provider box so gnd loop not a problem, but at least I could not hear between several ethernet cables-

SSD discs into the Synology : plug&play : pain behind you, no datas lost, backup easy : raid or geo cluster with a second synology elswhere in the world : family house, other half emisphere mate, etc: you make your private cloud by clicks buttons, back-ups are auutomatic!

If the M10 can not play fro ethernet networks I will save monney for the streamer that do it on ethernet protocole ! The combo you talk about ?

Just the things that stop me is the monney -prefer few purchases delayed in time to enjoy our diy hobby- and I'm a bit a little too much mono maniac with dac sound... But with the fine display and setuping options of the M10...well, have we not a winner ;) as you pointed out ?

Synology is reliable and will out the datas from a hifi brand soft your datas dics. And the little box is pumping virtually few elec and mostly can be putt elswhere in the house.

Edit : I forgott : with my Synology : I uses multiples remote displays : smartphone, tablett, laptop whatever the brand, there synology app if you decide to use their play back software or others third party streamers compatible with html and that have a package made by Synology. On te library side for music,but their own there is : Mini Server and LMS and of course a DNLA server so your dats can just be streamed via ethernet : the Internet provider box do that eventually via an USB3 too but you have not the backup options that a NAS has... and you are into the ground loop box (that underneath ethernet plugs haven't as far I understand)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.