Panasonic UB9000 - discussions, mods, improvements

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, the final version of my LPS is now assembled. I will do further some extended tests on it. Quite excited to power up my UB9000 with it.

Attachments

• UB9kLPS.jpg
    UB9kLPS.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 458
  • LPSmounted.jpg
    LPSmounted.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 552
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have finally fired the LPS. This version LPS it perform even better than the one for Oppo.
Then finally step: installing and powering the UB900 player with it... Quite surprised by the result... I can only say that the picture quality become just stunning (4k). Like looking on the window... Each and every parameter of the video/picture get improved. It is hard to turn off now the device. The picture is indeed addictive...
I found out that the player it work just fine without the audio board connected (removed). This it have a quite big advantage for those who chose audio through AV processor. The analogue power rails of the LPS it should be active as it are controlled (checked) by the player power management system, but the +/- regulators get unloaded quite much and so it is reduced an important heat source inside the box.
The audio quality is very good as well. I have already improved the balanced stereo, replacing the original AC coupling caps with non polar ones, as increased the filtering caps for the opamps un balanced channels. Well, my intention is to install my fully balanced analogue module, as replacing the original mute circuits, with relays.
Conclusion so far: definitely an LPS it improve first and a lot the picture quality in such multimedia devices. No matter how sophisticated is the (original) SMPS, an linear power supply is a must and the best... The SMPS in UB9000 is of a better quality (design) than the one in Oppo players. However, the LPS is by far the best of the best, for increasing the device overall quality parameters.

Attachments

• LPS-UB9kB.jpg
    LPS-UB9kB.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 435
  • LPS in function - UB9k.jpg
    LPS in function - UB9k.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
My preliminary upgrade for audio board (XLR outputs). The improvement is obvious.
Else, I intend to install my fully balanced output module (OPA1632), as mount mute relays insted of transistors circuits. I will focus mainly on stereo balanced stage.
I also have corrected the LPS design, placing the +/- voltages regulators to dissipate on main heatsink (downside of LPS board). This because is not place enough for the required bigger heatsinks for these regulators.

Attachments

• AudioModUB9k.jpg
    AudioModUB9k.jpg
    900.8 KB · Views: 493
Joined 2009
Paid Member
One more modification (I hope last one) to my LPS for UB9000. In addition to some more small design improvements, I have moved the +/- audio section regulators, placing it to dissipate on the large heatsink (downside of the LPS). These regulators it were not enough cooled in previous mounting, as modules with (it seems) too smal heatsinks. Now all the active parts of the LPS are very well cooled (through the bottom of the chassis). By the way, the LPS it dissipate quite low overall heat, and the thermal spreading on the downside of the massive chassis, is surprisingly good...
I have added also on LPS board, two more regulators sections, synchronised or not at power on. A small regulator, as a more powerfull one. These two regulators (customised voltages), are meant for future eventual use, powering the eventual adds on, as an external clock system/board, or whatever it may be needed. An adjustable regulator for the ventilation fan is already included as standard (same approach as for Oppo LPS). The LPS board it will be populated accordingly to the needs (standard, or for optional adds on as well).

In this upgrade session, I have also full modded now the DAC section (focusing on stereo DAC for my use), as the rest of the power system on main board.
I have found out that the clock system for main processor is quite well designed. The 25Mhz oscillator is powered by its own regulator device (1,8v). I could not find yet this regulator chip data, but anyway, it seems to me a good power design for this section. It can be improved? Yes...
I do not appreciate for moment that replacing the oscillator itself is or it may be necessary. The clock approach on this UB9000 it is more elaborated than it was in Oppo devices.
The signals quality lifting, for both picture and sound, it is more than obvious now after replacing the original SMPS with a linear PSU. Also improving the power system on main board it have an important contribution to the overall quality upgrade. Well, the upgrading process is not yet finished, but I am well satisfied so far with the results...
My next step is fully upgrade for the audio section (post DAC as well). The quality potential is just huge for this device...

Attachments

• UB9kLPS-latest2.jpg
    UB9kLPS-latest2.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
As I mentioned in previous post, the power system for the processor clock device (oscillator), is quite elaborated in UB9000. The 25Mhz oscillator it is powered by a linear regulator (controlled power on), delivering 1,8v. This 1,8v regulator it take its power from an DC/DC (SMPS) circuit, delivering 5,2v. This 5,2v power rail it also power many other circuits on main board. The 5,2v DC/DC converter is powered from main +12v rail (now provided by LPS in my device).
I am thinking to replace the 5,2v DC/DC converter by a linear power rail, provided by the LPS as well. I am not sure now if this DC/DC convertor it can be completely dismissed. however, I have already improved my LPS, adding one more power regulator for this 5,2v line, as a supplementary regulator, ready for future eventual use. All regulators on board it can be power on synchronised, and it have remote current sense feedback, for best regulation and lowest noise floor.
Also the fan adjustable regulator on LPS board it is modified now, so to adapt the fan speed automatically, as the temperature inside the enclosure it change. By the way. the original fan is indeed of a very good quality, very silent in use. The only bad about original fan and its original approach, is that it not work, but when the processor temperature become very high, when it is supposing the processor internal thermal protection it may also shut down the whole device (too high temperature).
Keeping working...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You have in this thread already few examples/solutions about LPS for UB9000.
Authentic Cinema it not use an LPS, but it somehow upgrade the existent SMPS. Fidelity Audio do the same and keep the SMPS approach.
For upgrading with Oppomod LPS, you should send whole your device to him... There is above a post showing an "Hongkonger" LPS, but is not clear more about it (lot of connections wires involved...).
You can also see the detailed description of my LPS solution, which is an plug and play approach (DIY)...

Coris, hi

Many Thanks, I am a bit of a DIYer but very limited skills, more making cables, experimenting with crossovers, I've never dabbled with circuit boards as nervous of overhearing components

If I am not brave enough to significantly pull apart my Panasonic, I am not sure just how good the mods offered by Authentic Cinema or Oppo Mod are ?

If Authentic Cinema offered an LPS as well, I'd go for it as they do upgrade the analogue out board. I'll have a good read, I like the idea of a better clock, although the picture I am getting via a Lumagen is very very good.

Best
Adrian

PS My current system uses analogue out, I do have a processor but appreciating that even today analogue out is still very good with the right system. I am not using height channels, just 7.3.0 currently

So very interested in getting the best out of the analogue out boards as I will be reviewing some more processors that can get pretty costly and I am not yet convinced that in a 7.3 system HMDI and a complex processor is actually better

Coris ..... saw your photos in the US avsforum Panasonic UP9000 forum.
I see these have since been removed.
A google search brought me here.
Would be interested to know more, cost, installation instructions etc.

IWC Doppel .... would be great if you could post some feedback of your experience with the new LPS installed?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, mainly the LPS is plug and play. Easy to install, but it are enough many parts to be dismounted, and mounted back. I hope I will be able to make a video tutorial about installation procedure. However, all the instructions (by text for moment) are included.