Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Panasonic UB9000 - discussions, mods, improvements
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2021, 10:12 AM   #91
IWC Doppel is offline IWC Doppel  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Another picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3B5BC64F-FD0C-482D-8766-56E219E1FF56_1_201_a.jpg (794.8 KB, 118 views)
Old 7th February 2021, 10:40 AM   #92
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Filtering +/-V caps it are placed (decoupling) on +/-12v lines which it are common to stereo and multi-channel sections.
The AC coupling caps it should always be unipolar types for best results. 1 Wima are good. These caps it should be soldered on the electrolytic ones terminals (parallel it).

Last edited by Coris; 7th February 2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 7th February 2021, 11:51 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

Tks, Ill swap those out next weekend, I have some more Nichicon FGs and some Elma Silmic IIs as well
Old 7th February 2021, 07:38 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

I wanted to try the Silmic IIs a bit of a squeeze!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 056FAE40-D440-47B9-89AC-464E7EAF23C7.jpeg (339.0 KB, 101 views)
Old 19th February 2021, 11:38 AM   #95
diyAudio Member

Okay a few words on the cap changes, I did run a few hours through before assessing, I know some don't agree but the recommendation was 100 hours for the Silmics

Overall a small step forward, in some respect less than I was hoping, all done at the same time so I cant separate the Nichicon FG with the Elna Silmic II's and the Takman resistors. But overall :

1. Resolution and clarity has been improved, lower level detail is more obvious and easier to seperate, there is less 'smearing and haze' everywhere, not obvious before but a little more of everything
2. Tonality is better there is a sense of more 'colour' and naturalness in the sounds you here, voices in particular sound very real
3. A marginal improvement in projection and scale, the scene seems a little bigger and broader
4. Unsure about any dynamics improvement, certainly no worse
5. A reduction in 'edginess' and the occasional hardness, seems as if any minor compression is reduced so its easier to listen at high levels

I am trying to compare to other upgrades, its noticeable but not transformational. I will try swapping out the TAKMAN resistors to the much loved Allen Bradley, which might be a little noisy (hopefully not) but if they do improve the dynamics a bit and or add some more colour to the tonality (By colour I don't mean colouration I mean the range of tones and the clarity of tones) then I can try some other resistors if I hear any difference

It is sounding very good as a system at the moment though, so maybe I should leave alone !

I have tried some Belden 8412 cable in a few places and have gone back to sharkwire, so that experiment failed ! I am tempted to try some Duelund in a few placed but that adds up

Last edited by IWC Doppel; 19th February 2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 21st February 2021, 07:21 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

AB's in, not noisy, so I'll report back initial impressions positive, no comparison but the film last night sounded great Mr Nobody, what a great film, it had been sat on my rack of unopened BR's for years !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B52A7058-729D-4A7A-9C9C-BBA211CAAB51.jpg (900.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 21st February 2021, 05:30 PM   #97
chordguy is offline chordguy
diyAudio Member

With Covid 19 my postal service for my film library was so poor I suspended my account for one month to allow the postal service to improve.
This seemed to be the perfect opportunity to send my 9000 off to Coris to get the LPS and hdmi board upgrade, so I shipped it off.

I only use my 9000 for movies and streaming, (Netflix and Iplayer) so I wasn't interested in the analogue audio upgrade.
Throughout the process Coris kept me informed of progress and provided the odd picture to show how my 9000 was changing.
The entire process, including shipping, took around 4 weeks.
I packaged it well on it's outbound journey but Coris had it even better packaged with a cardboard cover over the unit, within it's box.
The unit is heavier now with the LPS in it and feels like a really solid piece of kit.

I've run the unit now for about a week, giving it a chance to bed in (and burn in). I know Coris doesn't approve of this term but as a long time audiophile I've come across this too many times to discount it.
So after about a week I turned to Lucy in 4K, probably one of the best discs to assess picture quality, it looked great, even better than I remembered.
Colours were very natural, but vibrant.
The shots of downtown Hong Kong looked extremely real.
Motion also seemed to have improved.
The cherry on the cake was the car chase scene through Paris, it looked phenomenal. Again It looked like you were there, rather than watching a scene.
There was also a solidity to the image that was very impressive.
In the end I stopped reviewing and just ended up enjoying the image.

Audio was more difficult to judge as I find that hdmi cables can make a big difference, don't let anyone tell you a cheap hdmi is as good as an expensive one and that's it's only 1's and 0's.
I run my system with dual hdmi, a fiber optic hdmi cable to my projector and I use a Belkin 8K ultrafast hdmi cable for audio. This cable gives excellent treble response and is very reasonably priced. I've had other cables, (premium certified too), were the top end was missing and the sound was dull and lifeless.
Sound via the hdmi upgrade is clean, clear, dialogue easy to follow and the treble well extended, but I feel there is more to come with the sound.

I also tried some Netflix streaming and watched In the Line of Fire, a Clint Eastwood movie from around 1993, I think.
This was a full screen image, 16:9 and I thought it looked better than it had a right to do, indoor scenes were bright and impressive, outdoor scenes very natural.
I also watched Days of Thunder on 4K blu-ray, the crowd shots were just a riot of colour.
All in all I'm very happy with the upgrade and I plan to keep my Coris modded 9000 for a very long time.

Last edited by chordguy; 21st February 2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 28th February 2021, 03:22 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Wow some very interesting results with a resistor change, not what I was expecting at all. The Allen Bradleys do seem to have a really natural tonality, they are warm and natural in a more analogue way, however they are just a little too recessed and they seem to slug upper mid dynamics in my set up. I love the tonality although the balance is a little too recessed losing a bit of film ambiance and to some extent physical scale seems reduced as well.

They have now had enough time to settle in and I have read the AB's starting a little dark and recessed and opening up after 20-30 hours. They have improved and are less recessed than they were, but the lack of upper mid dynamics and sense of scale means they will go.

Not sure what I will try next amazed just how much difference these resistors made
Old 6th March 2021, 05:41 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

After a few conversations I decided to put in some Takman Rey resistors to replace the Allen Bradley. A quick listen and the balance is immediately back and am hopeful that they will be better than the REX in this setting. Initial impressions very positive I think they are better than the REX and certainly better than the AB's

I'll write up a full summary after a few hours of running in, so far so good
Old 13th March 2021, 11:13 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

Well the resistors have been back with the Takman Reys for a week and this is by far the best set so far. I am thinking of trying some Shinkoh, but cant buy 100 Ohm for the 8 signal resistors running to the RCA's. I assume these assist with the output impedance so dropping (I can buy 80 Ohm) might allow too much voltage to go through on the output and I'd run the possibility of clipping in the pre amp ?

I am really surprised how much difference they make

The Takman Rex were less dynamic in comparison (this seems top be a real strength of the Reys in this location) and although very good seemed a little reserved and polite, the AB's were just too recessed and 'thick' sounding with a lot of softeness and slowness to the overall presentation. However I really liked the lack of any glare or hardness and the in the room naturalness. The lack of resolution and lost ambiance was just way too great as well.

The Takman Rey are better than the Rex and AB in most areas. The low bass is superb the dynamics excellent, the are not cold thin or steely in any way, no glare or hardness but they do sound a little weaker in the lower mids, so some piano tracks sound a little lacking in comparison in certain harmonic overtones. They are really good and the best by a margin but I wonder if another hour with the soldering iron and some Shinkohs might be worth trying. I am still surprised just how much difference these resistors make.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D5D01794-C3B6-448D-8C22-72289C1A8CB0.jpg (835.5 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by IWC Doppel; 13th March 2021 at 11:16 AM.

Panasonic UB9000 - discussions, mods, improvementsHide this!Advertise here!