CD playback and DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Before the usual suspects send this thread to the Lounge, could I ask you to spell this out for us less digital savvy folks? You are speaking of headroom in the analog circuit? And the headroom is required because the digital-filter-caused artifacts may exceed whatever the nominal maximum range is? I ask out of interest because it would be so easy to mod the typical 12VDC Chinese DAC for more headroom in the analog output section.

It could occur both on the digital and on the analog side, but it is usually a strictly digital problem. See the site Mark referred to and the attachments.

Attachments

• intersample.zip
    313.3 KB · Views: 57
  • preechoes.pdf
    85.4 KB · Views: 76
For what it's worth, I've got a Tascam CD-200 that sounds OK by itself. To that I added a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 connected through a Toslink interconnect, and the sound improvement was undeniable. The audible noise decreased slightly, the depth and width of the stereo image was greatly enhanced. I shopped around and found both on discount, paid about $500 for both.

Mike

I would like to highlight, what I suspect, is the important significance of an technical issue which Marcel's 'preechoes' PDF of post 24 addresses. Identified decades ago by Lagadec, et. al., I suspect that it still is an insufficiently appreciated issue in digital audio design. Just my suspicion.

The ripples discussed in Marcel's paper are frequency-domain ripples. Not time-domain impulse response ripples. They are uniform undulations in the frequency response produced by 'equiripple' digital anti-alias and anti-imaging filters. Equiripple filters are utilized nearly ubiquitously within commercial audio converter chip filters, for cost and ease of implementation.

The equiripple effect is clearly shown in the published frequency response graphs of most converter chip data sheets. These frequency-domain ripples indicate the presence of signal correlated time-domain echoes occurring within the digital filter. To be very clear, these are not the decaying, time-domain impulse response ripples we usually think of when discussing brick-wall filters, and which are commonly termed, 'pre-ringing' and 'post-ringing'. Equiripple behavior are not an inherent part of digital filter performance, being instead a function of a particular popular filter design algorithm.

As an aside, I have long wondered whether or not the absence such ripples in (NOS) filter-less DAC boxes are responsible for a large part of their non-fatiguing sound character.

Last edited:
...I have long wondered whether or not the absence such ripples in (NOS) filter-less DAC boxes are responsible for a large part of their non-fatiguing sound character.

They may be one factor. There are other factors too. For example, the characteristic sound of the ESS PCM modulator and RF leakage out of SD dacs getting into downstream electronics are two that exist and that are hard to measure with an AP (small changes may be seen, but not that reflect the actual changes in audibility). No papers I can think of written about those two, perhaps in part due to all the NDAs people have to sign. Also perhaps in part due to much research remaining proprietary in today's world. Public funding of research into audio dacs is virtually non-existent. Assuming no NDA problem (maybe a big assumption), why would somebody publish something of potential value unless perhaps in hopes of more professional recognition leading a better paying job or something like that?

Last edited:
Public funding of research into audio dacs is virtually non-existent.
That because it's a matured technology. Why waste money chasing something that's already audibly transparent. Would that be because they want to make it even further beyond audible range? Yeah, that would be a good sales pitch until it gets busted in level matched double blind test like those boutique DACs (Benchmark & Mark Levinson) have been.

We spend money making better dacs because they are not yet audible transparent. Properly conducted blind tests will show what I claim to be true. Amateur tests put together by EEs, technicians, and or hobbyists are meaningless. Those are designed to trick the victim into false negative results.

Companies spend money making DACs with ever more impressive numbers for a few performance parameters, because they expect they can sell them and make a profit.

True, but not my point. That dacs are not yet transparent is why we (meaning people like me) continue to build dac boards from newer and better sounding dac chips as they become available. If dac chips were capable of being transparent then I would't waste my time after the first one.

We spend money making better dacs because they are not yet audible transparent. Properly conducted blind tests will show what I claim to be true.
Let me borrow your own line.
Please post proof.

Amateur tests put together by EEs, technicians, and or hobbyists are meaningless. Those are designed to trick the victim into false negative results.

peterpan, just like I told you.
Ask anyone who claims about better sound quality from exotic and expensive DAC for supporting evidence. They will start twisting words and try to discredit double blind test. Also, most of them are affiliated with DAC business.

I didn't measure anything.
No worries.

I DO hear more detail at ANY volume level, and I DO hear better sound stage imaging at ANY volume level.
Try this, listen to your favorite music through one DAC in your audio system, then change just the volume but nothing else and listen to the same passage again. You will hear a difference even though it's through a same DAC. Let that sink in for a while.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.