Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Philips CD610 disc spins backwards
Philips CD610 disc spins backwards
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2020, 01:26 AM   #1
yewneek is offline yewneek
diyAudio Member

Default Philips CD610 disc spins backwards

Hi there

New on the table today is a Philips CD610 CDM-4/19.

Lens cleaned, disc spins jerky backwards when inserted - fraction of a revolution. Not reading TOC of a factory CD, shows ERROR in display.

Had it apart, cleaned all the connectors on the PCB, back together and same thing.
From the side a laser can be observed. The laser head is bobbing up and down.

It's late at night here so I've not been over it with an oscilloscope or DMM yet.

I've got the SM in English, just wondering if there's anything I'm missing?

I've also had a peek at the solder joints and can't see anything outstandingly bad. Nothing observed abnormal.

In the last week I've recapped an older CD460 successfully, also rolling op-amps too.
I noted that none of the electrolytic capacitors were off-value or with a high ESR, so I'm erring on the cautious side and not thinking it's them, as it's a newer model by 5 years or so.

Anyhoo...any pointers would be welcomed!

Cheers

GB
Old 16th May 2020, 02:46 AM   #2
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
Sin Bin

How are the scope readings as discussed in the SM?
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:26 PM   #3
yewneek is offline yewneek
diyAudio Member

Update:
Sorted with re-adjustment of the laser current and focus as per the CDM-2 service manual. It's available to download and use.

If the disc cannot read TOC it won't spin forward, Instructions are available rectify it in the SM. With a digital multimeter it is straighforward. Finding the test point for the focus is vitally important to get right, as is the method for testing. I had to solder a wire to a track to do this. Doable but the right tools and materials are needed, and should not be attempted without them.
GB

Philips CD610 disc spins backwardsHide this!Advertise here!