Philips CD610 disc spins backwards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there

New on the table today is a Philips CD610 CDM-4/19.

Lens cleaned, disc spins jerky backwards when inserted - fraction of a revolution. Not reading TOC of a factory CD, shows ERROR in display.

Had it apart, cleaned all the connectors on the PCB, back together and same thing.
From the side a laser can be observed. The laser head is bobbing up and down.

It's late at night here so I've not been over it with an oscilloscope or DMM yet.

I've got the SM in English, just wondering if there's anything I'm missing?

I've also had a peek at the solder joints and can't see anything outstandingly bad. Nothing observed abnormal.

In the last week I've recapped an older CD460 successfully, also rolling op-amps too.
I noted that none of the electrolytic capacitors were off-value or with a high ESR, so I'm erring on the cautious side and not thinking it's them, as it's a newer model by 5 years or so.

Anyhoo...any pointers would be welcomed!

Cheers

GB

Update:
Sorted with re-adjustment of the laser current and focus as per the CDM-2 service manual. It's available to download and use.

If the disc cannot read TOC it won't spin forward, Instructions are available rectify it in the SM. With a digital multimeter it is straighforward. Finding the test point for the focus is vitally important to get right, as is the method for testing. I had to solder a wire to a track to do this. Doable but the right tools and materials are needed, and should not be attempted without them.
GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.