Krell KAV300CD Player mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Krell KAV300CD player, that I really like and I am looking for some cost effective mods to improve it's performance. I have recently had it serviced with a new laser, and I will be re-capping it in the near future. I also heard that an improved clock can make a big difference.

There are many options out there, does anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking at the TentLabs XO, but I have no way to compare the various offerings out there.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Hi bbe,

Yes, I've read his page. He replaced the HDCD chip with an upgraded filter, he makes no mention of upgradingg the clock.

This is already on my menu of upgrades to my player. I've seen many clock updates on various players on this forum and elsewhere.

There are so many clock mods out there, too many to make an informed choice.

I have a Krell KAV300CD player, that I really like and I am looking for some cost effective mods to improve it's performance. I have recently had it serviced with a new laser, and I will be re-capping it in the near future. I also heard that an improved clock can make a big difference.

There are many options out there, does anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking at the TentLabs XO, but I have no way to compare the various offerings out there.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Schematic?

Gilid,With regards to recapping may I suggest you recap as far as possible with solid polymer electrolytics.These have higher specs than standard electrolytics with regard to ESR,ripple current rating,lower noise and longer life but are not that much more expensive.
Due to the higher ripple current rating you can safely replace say a 1000uf standard cap with a 330uf polymer type.Hope this is helpful.

Apogee Lover, thanks for the suggestion, I will certainly consider it. From my very limited research into polymer electrolytics, I gather that they are only available in lower values and voltage ratings, so they may not be suitable replacements for the power supply resevoirs, but more suited for decoupling.

If anyone has any experience with re-capping with polymer caps, that would be very useful information.

Apogee Lover, thanks for the suggestion, I will certainly consider it. From my very limited research into polymer electrolytics, I gather that they are only available in lower values and voltage ratings, so they may not be suitable replacements for the power supply resevoirs, but more suited for decoupling.

If anyone has any experience with re-capping with polymer caps, that would be very useful information.
Yes you are right about values so are only suitable for local decoupling.I recently modded a Novafidelity streamer to good effect with Nichicon and Panasonic solid polymers.

Hello. Krell cd, well... my advice is, if it works, don't touch. I don't understand why we have to modify anything that is well builded.
I've seen in internet that Krell uses Roederstein capacitors, I hate this brand in electrolitic capacitors because are a source of problems, if your Krell have this kind of caps, maybe is not bad idea change these capacitors.
I've see in Google that this cd uses a Schaffner plug with EMI noise filter, this plug EMI-filters gives problems when gets older, some of then explotes and give fumes. You can change it for other new, Delta brand are my favourites, but there is a lot more.
The cd pickup, if it works, let it as it is. Clean the lens with glasses cloth is not bad idea if you see dust in it.

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.