Wadia 581i SE

Hi,
I got this CD player and it do not play any CD anymore.
Got a new laser installed (SF-HD65). I measured the 2 potmeters from the old laser and putted same values on new laser.When loading CD it reads TOC and gives remaining time, but when pressing playbutton it spins up again but do not play any songs.In this state i can not open tray so i have to turn off power to have the tray out again.
Any helps for solving it would be nice.

Thanks,

When it starts playing the first track it always stops at 2sec of playing(All cd`s i have tried with).Then i can not open CD tray.I must restart by taking out powercord.Then i can open cd tray again.

It sounds to me like it may be a sled drive problem.

If you move the Laser away from 'Home Base' and then apply power, does the laser return to the Home position?

P

Wadia 581 PLD

Hi,
Anyone knows were i can buy preprogrammed PLD for Wadia 581iSE?
The one with 4 different inputs. I have a player with wrong program of PLD and one with correct.The one with "wrong type" only gives accsess to internal CD player so it can not be used as a DAC separately.If i swap them , it works on opposite player so problem is with PLD. (ST PSD311B-70j)

I would say that you cannot buy it anywhere. You can try Wadia themselves but they probably will tell you that they no longer have it.
The one with "the wrong program" is probably for the version with no inputs.
These ICs are probably copy protected and there is a chance of blowing them when you try to do it. Then maybe not, but it is a high risk strategy to try.

Please tell us what was the problem with not going past the 2nd second in playback. Was it some kind of obstruction in head travel (like old, hardened grease) ?

Both players are 4input version or 581iSE.
But PLD chips appears different because they gives 2 different scenarios when i swap them.

I would say that you cannot

buy it anywhere. You can try Wadia themselves but they probably will tell you that they no longer have it.
The one with "the wrong program" is probably for the version with no inputs.
These ICs are probably copy protected and there is a chance of blowing them when you try to do it. Then maybe not, but it is a high risk strategy to try.

Please tell us what was the problem with not going past the 2nd second in playback. Was it some kind of obstruction in head travel (like old, hardened grease) ?

Hi

I have a wadia 781i since 2008, was always complicated to read cds and SACD, fails many discs, until the laser died, replaced the laser (SF HD65) and now only reads cds not sacd changed to laser HD870 and remains the same, anyone had a problem like this that can help?
A technician on the net told me that it must be the SACD IC (IC Sony CXD2753R) that is in the drive, I ask if it is just to change or is it necessary some firmware, this drive (raymedia rmc) does not exist.

replaced the laser (SF HD65) and now only reads cds not sacd changed to laser HD870 and remains the same, anyone had a problem like this that can help?
Have you adjusted power of the SACD laser?
These are cheap DVD units which come from factory set to whatever they feel at the time.
I am working on a Shanling SCD-T200C and the unit was reading SACDs but not CDs. Other tech replaced laser, and it did not read anything after that.
Owner was told by importing agent the same what your tech told you - CD chip.
Well, I replaced laser yet again, it did read nor CDs but not SACDs, so it was a proof, that electronics is OK.
I adjusted the height of TT and (some) SACD are being read. More power on a SACD laser and it is all OK.
Measure the value on the pots before adjusting, so you know which way to go and by how much.
I only have an old laser power meter, so I do not know which one I am reading.

These are cheap DVD units which come from factory set to whatever they feel at the time.
I am working on a Shanling SCD-T200C and the unit was reading SACDs but not CDs. Other tech replaced laser, and it did not read anything after that.
Well, I replaced laser yet again, it did read nor CDs but not SACDs, so it was a proof, that electronics is OK.
I adjusted the height of TT and (some) SACD are being read. More power on a SACD laser and it is all OK.
Measure the value on the pots before adjusting, so you know which way to go and by how much.
Hi

I have 2 lasers, one HD65 and one HD850, to throw away because I messed up the tuning and tried to put in the measurements as original HD65 and they broke down and no longer work

Do You know any site with a Good description
Of the steps cd players are going trough before it
plays the cd?
The steps vary but in general they are:
  • When tray comes in, servo reads a sensor to tell it that the tray is in
  • The CD is clamped
  • Laser head travels to the centre where the track begins (or it might be there already)
  • Laser lights up and and servo is looking for reflected signal
  • If signal is received it turns the motor and begins to hunt for focus (this hunting and turning the motor might also happen in previous stage)
  • If focus is obtained, laser goes to the start up area where it reads Table of Contents and it is being displayed
Depending on the unit it will then either play the first track or wait for instructions from front panel / remote

In general, putting the CD on the tray and pressing Play should make CD player close the tray, and go trough all the steps above and start to play just after T.O.C is displayed and this is what I would do as a first step. See if it plays past second 02.
If unit reads T.O.C. and does not play, I would look for obstruction to its travel, which is what @percival007 suggested
"It sounds to me like it may be a sled drive problem.
If you move the Laser away from 'Home Base' and then apply power, does the laser return to the Home position?
"
On the other hand, if it stops at second 02, it would appear that there might be some kind of weird electronic problem (or the head is just stuck there).

I tried laser tuning like you said and it must be tuning because I can tune it to play SACD Hybrid, but it won't play normal cd, and when I can tune it to normal cd it won't play SACD, and very difficult to get both systems working :sneaky:

I tried laser tuning like you said and it must be tuning because I can tune it to play SACD Hybrid, but it won't play normal cd, and when I can tune it to normal cd it won't play SACD, and very difficult to get both systems working :sneaky:
I am sure I do not need to tell you what to do next...
That is get another few of these $10 laser mechs.
But I am going to tell you how to do it. ;-)
Go to ebay and search for it. Open about 20 of them in new tabs and look for sellers who have sold at least a hundred of them and still have feedback of over 99%. Depending on a eBay country where you are, you might even get feedback on that particular item. If it is good, get 3 (I normally get half-a-dozen, but I fix CD players for a living). One of the 3 is bound to be good and tunable for both CD and SACD.
Good luck

I am sure I do not need to tell you what to do next...
That is get another few of these $10 laser mechs.
But I am going to tell you how to do it. ;-)
Go to ebay and search for it. Open about 20 of them in new tabs and look for sellers who have sold at least a hundred of them and still have feedback of over 99%. Depending on a eBay country where you are, you might even get feedback on that particular item. If it is good, get 3 (I normally get half-a-dozen, but I fix CD players for a living). One of the 3 is bound to be good and tunable for both CD and SACD.
Good luck
Hi
Which one is CD and SACD, right or left?

Attachments

• IMG_2022.JPG
    IMG_2022.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 46