Problem with Marantz CD-40

Hi!

I have old CD player - Maranty CD-40. Actually it is my first CD player. It does not want to play CD's. Cleaning laser did not help.
It does not read disc properly - after long time it was off it did read TOC and displayed track numbers and total timing but it was just for a second.
Usually it is trying to read, making strange noise and nothing. Disc is NOT spinning at all.

YouTube

You can see on this video what is going on.

It seems that electronics is 'confused'. Sometimes even if there is no disc inside it is trying to read and play disc. Can yuu help, please?

Hi! I see this is your first post so will acknowledge it!

I've had a similar experience with a Beogram CD-X.

It had multiple problems, and as soon as I had fixed one, another one occurred. I eventually gave up and sold it on to someone hopefully more knowledgeable!

It may be time to say sayonara to your first ever CD player. Sorry I can't be of any help. :(

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
First thoughts would be to replace the electrolytics which are the number #1 cause of problems on old Philips based players. Those related to the laser drive circuitry are particularly troublesome, typically 33uF types.

Reactions: 1 user
What results do you get in service mode?
Service mode will guide you to the general area of the fault.
Follow the Service Manual instrictions.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 10.24.27.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 10.24.27.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 264
new situation with Marantz

I was keeping pressed Prev and Next track buttons and switched player on. First message on the screen was 0P117 and when I pressed Next track button mechanism was making strange noise and was changing numbers from 01.03. After I pressed button PLAY message 02 Err was displayed.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Service Positions?

I have the Philips CD-60, almost the same as the OP's unit.
When the manual refers to Service Positions, are those actual physical positions or settings once service mode is entered?
(See attached image)What is the difference between Play-Service Position and Service Position Play? Is Service Mode supposed to be conducted while the CDM is standing on its side?

Attachments

• servicepositions.png
    servicepositions.png
    222.9 KB · Views: 98
According to service manual this means the disc isn't recognized, it says:
Err 02 = No TL pulse at startup
I will send you t he service manual by PM if I manage to do that, it contains instructions what to do to isolate the fault. Otherwise it's also pretty easy to find on the net. It's from CD50 but it's almost the same, I've used it to modify my CD40.

Mooly might be spot on when referring to the electrolytics, failure can cause this, especially that infamous blue axial philips cap on servo and tracking board beneath the laser assembly.

You're welcome. I will send service manual as soon as I get home. I had a Philips player based on the same cd mechanism which would only play when warm, turned out to be a problem with cold solder joints on main decoder pcb (infamous griplets), but for what I remember, the cd 40 doesn't have this problem, but this is just to say that the problem might very well be on the Mainboard, not the servo board, I mean in the case of the Philips player I was focused on fixing the servo board, even changed all capacitors, when in fact the problem was in the mainboard. And the error it was giving was exactly the error yours is giving - cd wasn't recognised.

I have the Philips CD-60, almost the same as the OP's unit.
When the manual refers to Service Positions, are those actual physical positions or settings once service mode is entered?
(See attached image)What is the difference between Play-Service Position and Service Position Play? Is Service Mode supposed to be conducted while the CDM is standing on its side?

Did you ever figure this out? I'm scratching my head. This service manual is hard for me to follow.

Service mode can be conducted with CDM standing on its side (if the CDM supports that - I will stand corrected if I'm wrong, but some CDM versions don't support this. I think the CDM-4 does, though), but it can also be done with it in normal position (and this might be preferrable first, if it has reading problems, as vertical mode often makes it read worse).

They are settings only, which command the mechanism. Basically, it's a special program which has several steps (which are user selected - the key for that is often slightly different from model to model, it is mentioned in service manual) for testing several things. It starts with fundamental functions of the reading process and then progresses to a higher level with each key press (example: in one mode it only focusses, in the next it will try to spin the disc, after that try to play, etc.). You can also move the RAFOC (the laser head unit) to inner and outer positions with two keys, so to be able to test function of the swing mech.

Service manuals from Philips can be a little complex and sometimes contain errors, but they also are very comprehensive and complete. Just take it slowly. Hope this helped a bit.

If any of you still have a fully working CD 40. Can I please ask if it has this characteristic.
On power on the loading tray motor spins up as if to close the tray when the tray is already closed. I've confirmed the limit switches are working but it still does this, and it seems to me it is likely casing premature belt failure. I've replaced the Loading gear some years ago but never noticed this and can't recall if it always did this or if with the cover off its just more noticeable. I have yet to replace anything except the loading gear and clean the display ( and new belt order now ) It still appears to play fine, unlikely to the original specification however my ears don't work to their original specification either!. I read and understand the 33uf caps are concern but I've yet to look at the area under the CDM-4. Thanks in advance