Passive I/V vs. traditional I/V, FFT pics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The following pics are taken with SpectraLab using a laptop on batteries and a slightly modified USB soundcard also run on batteries.

The passive I/V DAC is a balanced PCM1704K with a resistor (100ohms) between I out on the dacs, nothing xtra to ground.
The measurements for this dac are taken at the poweramp output.
The PCM1704 passive I/V is being compared to the Denon 2900 DVD using the BB PCM/DSD 1792 and standard I/V etc basically (different opamps) as described in TI's datasheets. These pics are directly from line out. The spec on this player says 0.0009% THD @ 1kHz.

First out is the Denon @-20dB..

Attachments

• d_2900_-20.jpg
    d_2900_-20.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,495
Considering my expectations based on the general consensus on this forum about passive I/V I think this is pretty good and way beyond my expectations.

The following pics are direct spdif dumps from the same source.

Attachments

• 2900_spdif_8420_2496_-20.jpg
    2900_spdif_8420_2496_-20.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,086
Great measurements, certainly gave me something to think about.
It is interesting how the harmonics of the PCM1704 is very similiar to the measurements I did on my own dac.

Some questions:
- You say you used a USB soundcard, which one?
- From what I understand you run the balanced out from the DAC direct to the input of the power-amp. What does the power-amp input circuitry look like?
- Would it be possible for you to post the results of 0dBFS measurements? If it is too loud for your soundcard just use a resistor divider.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

For those of you who can't resist getting into a ****ing contest I suggest you save your TDA1541/nonos vs everything else for another thread.

I did not expect the passive I/V to measure as good and figured some of you would be interested considering this could open for a "lean & mean" signalpath without sacrificing traditional THD performance.

The two balanced dac chips have a resistor between each I-out, I-out on each chip is then directly coupled to the balanced input on a LC Audio The End Amp with all the resistors in series and to ground removed before the amps input transistors (se pic below).

The -60 dB signal looks bad but the noise is at a low level and as OJG points out it does so on the Denon analog out as well as the direct spdif dump from the Denon which is being used as source for all measurements.
For now I am assuming it is not my DAC, but rather the denons digital processing or the HiFi News&Record review Test CD II I used. I am going to try with a real cdp once I get a chance. It is strange though that it does not show on any other level measurements
All in all I think the denon is far from noisy and measures pretty good.

At 0dB the soundcard distorts heavily on both the denon and the passive I/V dac but as you say I've been thinking about using a divider once I get time for it.

The soundcard is (lord behold) a creative Audigy 2NX with a 24/96 ADC.
The first tests I did showed it was very noisy and the SNR readings I got was not better then around -93dB above 1kHz. It improved significantly to -120,-122dB when I put it on a 5volt NiMh pack and added oscons on the adc and digital processing supplies.
The line input on the soundcard is directly coupled to the adc input ie no additional op-amps other then whatever sits in the adc chip.

Note that the passive I/V measurements are taken at the poweramp speaker terminals with a pair of 3-4 ohms speakers connected so some of the harmonics might be related to the poweramp.
The denons are taken directly at line out which uses NJM2068 (bal) for I/V and AD825 for buffers.

Attachments

• biuttem.jpg
    biuttem.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 818
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.