Clock Crystal Accuracy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's 400ppm low.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought Red Book cd recommends +/-200ppm; I might be wrong on that.

Practically, as a clock in a standalone CD player - no issue at all: - it's the close-in LF phase noise ('goodness' of teh clock source) that seems to make a difference. *

that said, if you plan on using he result as a transport to a dac - probably won't matter, but it might depending on how tight/ exactly how that dac is programmed to lock to the datastream.

* musically - 400ppm low average is likely >= 2dec places below what even the finest human sense of pitch can perceive; so no issue at all, muscally

Last edited:
Martin is right (as usual).

What matters for audio (assuming use as a single box player) is 'jitter' of the clock signal. As long as it's within sensible tolerances the absolute frequency of the clock being a tiny amount out doesn't matter, it won't be audible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.