Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Diagnosing a toslink bitrate
Diagnosing a toslink bitrate
Diagnosing a toslink bitrate Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2019, 06:52 PM   #1
Datun Walnut is offline Datun Walnut  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Diagnosing a toslink bitrate

Hi,
I have a Samsung Bd-f9800 Blu-ray player the only audio output for audio is optical toslink. I've also got a few Blu-ray audio disks. I can't find out anywhere what the max bitrate of the toslink is. Does anyone know how I can test it? I'm thinking it might be downsampling my disks to 44.1
A thought did occur, I've got an old XP laptop somewhere with a toslink input. If I connected that up to the Samsung, is there a free program that might tell me what bit rate is being received from the disk in the Samsung?
Tia
Old 19th December 2019, 06:51 PM   #2
madis64 is offline madis64  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datun Walnut View Post
I can't find out anywhere what the max bitrate of the toslink is.
"Originally 3.1 Mbit/s; now 125 Mbit/s"

TOSLINK - Wikipedia
Old 21st December 2019, 10:58 PM   #3
Mark Tillotson is online now Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Would you be able to record to a WAV file on the laptop - then analyse the WAV file header with a suitable utility? Of course the laptop might also resample...

An oscilloscope would be able to tell the bitrate of course.
Old 21st December 2019, 11:54 PM   #4
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I think that the driver in the laptop will indicate the received speed. Maybe try a free DAV like Audacity.

//

Diagnosing a toslink bitrateHide this!Advertise here!