Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Krell DVD Showcase static
Krell DVD Showcase static
Krell DVD Showcase static Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2019, 04:37 PM   #1
xyobgyn is offline xyobgyn
diyAudio Member

Default Krell DVD Showcase static

I'm about to take delivery of a pair of these, both used, they are definitely older units, dating back about 15 years most likely.

One is said to work perfectly, the other has "static" in both channels, and I'm getting it primarily for parts back up to keep the other one in service longer, or, possibly for repair and use.

There are only 4 boards inside. One for display, one appears to be off to the side to drive the transport, one is obviously the power supply, and one handles (presumably) the D/A conversion, and pre-amp section to drive the outputs, balanced XLR and RCA. (Discounting the optional HDMI board, only one of these has it)

Is it possible to generalize whether the fault is most likely in the PS vs the board for driving the outputs? I'm suspecting that on the A/D board/Preamp board that some caps are past their prime, swollen or leaking etc...

Is there much danger in swapping in the known good preamp board into the static one to test if the problem is on that board? Start with PS board swap instead?

I don't have a scope to watch the signals unfortunately, and I know that limits my ability to find the problem, but on many other projects, replacing caps has worked well, and usually visible changes are apparent. I'm just surprised Krell would not have put "overkill" caps in place where needed.

Thoughts?
Old 10th December 2019, 06:08 PM   #2
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

If they both basically work, and are identical, swapping any of the boards ought to be benign. You should check the supply voltages anyway as a matter of course.

Can you describe the "static" you are getting more carefully? Is it volume-related for instance? Intermittent? Crackly? White noise?

Krell DVD Showcase staticHide this!Advertise here!