Are 24bit/192KHz music files really better than the CD standard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The ability to reproduce a 20 kHz sine wave does not guarantee the ability to reproduce transients from drums, piano, cymbals and hand claps, etc, in a clean, non distorted way with a sharp leading edge chock wave. Even though our ears does not hear a 21 kHz (15 kHz if you are as old as me) sine waves, we can still differentiate between a sharp crack from a hand clap or a hard edge strike on a drum, from a muffled and low passed reproduction of the same source material.

The ability to reproduce clean, fast and sharp transients is much more important to the perceived sound quality then bandwidth, distortion and flat tone curves. Our ears and brain can to a quite remarkable extent compensate for room acoustics effecting the tone curve (peaks and dips in the response) as long as early reflections does not muddy the transient response.

Transients is what differentiates music from tones. No amount of steady state sine waves can synthesize a piano, Cello or drums.

This is why true 24/96 or 24/192 records sounds much better then 16/44,1 if the rest of the reproduction chain is able to handle the resolution and bandwidth.

Yes, that is true!

I find it much easier to hear the difference between 16/44,1 and 24/96 with point source speakers like Unity/Synergy-horns or full range drivers, then from "normal" multiway hifi loudspeakers with their crossovers and multiple drivers spaced apart on a baffle.

It is also very important to minimize early reflections that interfere with the transient reproduction (edge diffraction, multiple drivers etc etc).

The ability to reproduce a 20 kHz sine wave does not guarantee the ability to reproduce transients from drums, piano, cymbals and hand claps, etc, in a clean, non distorted way with a sharp leading edge chock wave. Even though our ears does not hear a 21 kHz (15 kHz if you are as old as me) sine waves, we can still differentiate between a sharp crack from a hand clap or a hard edge strike on a drum, from a muffled and low passed reproduction of the same source material.
That's nonsense. What you hear is reproduced. What you can not hear is not reproduced. And that's the way it has to be. Have you ever read the theories of Nyquist in math lessons? Transients above 20kHz are inaudible and below 20kHz they are reproduced.

There are discussions on forums on fast transients, but they are mainly related to loudspeaker and how bad they are at reproducing fast transient.

I'm quite on disagreement with the statement "No amount of steady state sine waves can synthesize a piano, Cello or drums.", Fourier Analysis actually demonstrates that it is indeed true, any signal can be synthesised as a sum of sinusoidal waves with proper amplitude and phase.

Human hearing is indeed more sensitive to transient, but it has mostly to do with the need for a quick localisation of the source. I'm not an expert on the subject but I think the quick localisation is based on the phase rather than the bandwidth of the sound. And again loudspeakers are not very accurate on the signal phase.

The ability to reproduce clean, fast and sharp transients is much more important to the perceived sound quality then bandwidth, distortion and flat tone curves. Our ears and brain can to a quite remarkable extent compensate for room acoustics effecting the tone curve (peaks and dips in the response) as long as early reflections does not muddy the transient response.

Transients is what differentiates music from tones. No amount of steady state sine waves can synthesize a piano, Cello or drums.

This is why true 24/96 or 24/192 records sounds much better then 16/44,1 if the rest of the reproduction chain is able to handle the resolution and bandwidth.

Myth. Such 'shock waves' from handclaps, drum beats etc do not exist in real life. You might think they do based on your hearing. Analysis of the real waveforms shows no such thing.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The below post has severe flaws and is not correct. Be warned.

//

Since music is mainly non-sinusoidal you need a lot more bandwidth then overly simplified Nyquist-Shannon Theorem dictates.

A hard strike on a kick drum generates content well into the MHz range due to the steep non sinusoidal shock wave generated.

There is nothing "continuous" with the leading edge shock wave from a drum or other transient sounds (which makes up most of the content in music).

There is a huge difference between 16/44,1 and 24/192 when compared with well recorded and very little processed source material. If you take a nice BIS recording of a grand piano and a/b compare between high rez and normal CD quality the difference is quite startling.

That's nonsense. What you hear is reproduced. What you can not hear is not reproduced. And that's the way it has to be. Have you ever read the theories of Nyquist in math lessons? Transients above 20kHz are inaudible and below 20kHz they are reproduced.

oh oh :santa:
So you're telling that all the people that insist to say to use a microphone to do measurements because FR, phase, diffraction, refraction, cannot be heard as well as DDR, Hom, metal domes ringing, break-up in membranes, impedance -related issues etc. cannot be heard and those people are wrong ?!

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
As an old man you will not hear more than 15 kHz. To sample at 192kHz (about 96kHz) is nonsense. You do not hear a difference. The CD standard 44kHz is quite sufficient.

The only argument I can think of is relaxing the filter requirements. But the stupid thing is that no vendor uses these high FS recording for that but still chase the last 0,00001 dB at 0,1 below the FS.

Crazy.

//

I'm quite on disagreement with the statement "No amount of steady state sine waves can synthesize a piano, Cello or drums.", Fourier Analysis actually demonstrates that it is indeed true, any signal can be synthesised as a sum of sinusoidal waves with proper amplitude and phase.

French scientist and mathematician Jean Baptiste Fourier (1768–1830) proved the mathematical fact that any periodic waveform can be expressed as the sum of an infinite set of sine waves. The frequencies of these sine waves must be integer multiples of some fundamental frequency.

A Fourier series is an expansion of a periodic function f(x) in terms of an infinite sum of sines and cosines

Fourier Series -- from Wolfram MathWorld

24/96 falls quite short of "infinite sum of sines and cosines" as that would also mean infinite bandwidth....

Everything is possible in the theoretical real of mathematics when you don't care much about the need for infinite bandwidth. But it is a little harder squeezing "infinite bandwidth" out of a 16/44,1 CD record.

YouTube

I did not say "supersonic" chock wave. There is a very easily heard and seen sharp and steep wave leaving the hands. It is sharp enough to startle people of you clap your hands suddenly and behind their back. It is quite hard for normal hifi speakers to reproduce the sound of a hand clap with any realism. Large horns like Danley Synergy horns do it much better then normal hifi loudspeakers.

The only argument I can think of is relaxing the filter requirements. But the stupid thing is that no vendor uses these high FS recording for that but still chase the last 0,00001 dB at 0,1 below the FS.

Crazy.

//

Looking in DAC and ADC chip datasheets, you often see transition bands ranging all the way from 20 kHz to 156.4 kHz at 176.4 kHz sample rate (so the ADC messes up the 20 kHz to 88.2 kHz range with aliases and the DAC fills up 88.2 kHz to 156.4 kHz with images) and passband ripples much greater than 0.00001 dB.

I am clearly not a DSP guy so I believe almost anything concerning such.
Having now DACs that can handle 24bit/192KHz, I thought of updating a bit of my music collection to 24bit/192KHz level. Looking for a suitable site to buy music in that quality, I noticed this article: 24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed<snip>.

The link you posted includes "Monty's demos" which includes this 24 minute video which references
the article in the link. This video is referenced frequently on HydrogenAudio forums as an excellent
explanation of digital audio. If you haven't yet seen it I highly recommend it.

Xiph.Org Video Presentations: Digital Show & Tell

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.