Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Are 24bit/192KHz music files really better than the CD standard?
Are 24bit/192KHz music files really better than the CD standard?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2019, 03:10 PM   #181
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasnu View Post
I have a little complicated digital signal chain and don't use DAC internal filter at 44.1K sampling rate except when testing something. FIR filter at 44.1K is colored to my ears whatever it is, especially on chip filter. I do understand NOS DAC in this regard, and most importantly, this is the reason why I want to avoid 44.1K source. At higher sampling rate, the filter is much less colored, and I canít really find any meaningful difference between filter types, can you?
My DIY valve DAC has a function to facilitate blind listening to various different filters: a steep linear-phase filter, an apodizing filter that is almost linear phase in its passband but not in its stopband and a linear-phase halfband filter. I never used it, because I don't even hear any difference when I know what filter is selected, not even at 44.1 kHz sample rate. No matter what filter is selected, there is always headroom to prevent intersample overshoots and the passband ripple is dominated by a filter that is always in the path (the interpolation filter of an SRC4392).

Are 24bit/192KHz music files really better than the CD standard?Hide this!Advertise here!