Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Marantz CD75, issues
Marantz CD75, issues
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2019, 02:11 PM   #11
girishkukadia is offline girishkukadia  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishkukadia View Post
Thanks for the info, didn't realize that the 65 and 75 uses the same circuit board.

My unit is the CD75, I will post a picture once I open the player.

Thanks again.

Here are some pictures. I have noticed the big black capacitor slightly bulging, would that cause the issues I am having?

Can someone please point to the 'Control Processor' on the picture as mentioned by forum member that it could be faulty. many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191119_134823.jpg (682.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 20191119_134838.jpg (690.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by girishkukadia; 19th November 2019 at 02:20 PM. Reason: ADDING MORE INFO
Old 19th November 2019, 02:29 PM   #12
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have noticed the big black capacitor slightly bulging
I don't see a bulge, at least not from the angle at which the photo is taken.

The solution to your problem is unlikely to be as simple as just replacing that capacitor.

Buying a second hand CD player is a risky business. Did you contact the seller?

Last edited by Galu; 19th November 2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 19th November 2019, 02:41 PM   #13
aboos is offline aboos  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here are some pictures. I have noticed the big black capacitor slightly bulging, would that cause the issues I am having?

Can someone please point to the 'Control Processor' on the picture as mentioned by forum member that it could be faulty. many thanks.

This player has been modified already! All the electrolytic capacitors have been replaced - in some cases with a much larger type which is in many cases a not so good idea. The PC board is a standard Philips board and the original capacitors are normally much smaller in size.
Old 19th November 2019, 02:46 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's likely to be one of the larger black integrated circuits you can see in the photo, but I don't think knowing its location will help you much.

aboos suggested that there might be an intermittent contact which could be affecting the control processor - the source of the problem could be almost anywhere.

Intermittent faults are hard to pin down without access to test equipment.

As I type, aboos has posted that the player has been modified. Did the seller appraise you of that fact? If not, you have a good reason for contacting him.
Old 19th November 2019, 03:11 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yes I did contact the seller and he refunded me fully and told me to keep the player as he didn't want it back.

So no I have this player and want to try to fix it, (hoping it would be a fix like replacing a capacitor, otherwise it will be binned.

I also thought of buying another CD75 and see if I can make one good one out of two or would that be a no, no!

Last edited by girishkukadia; 19th November 2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: more info
Old 19th November 2019, 03:28 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Somehow I have lost faith in buying from ebay!!
Old 19th November 2019, 06:12 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Somehow I have lost faith in buying from ebay!!
It's a jungle out there!

At least you appear to have encountered an honest seller who readily gave you a refund.

My advice would be to put the faulty player back at auction, at a very low starting price, descibed as being 'for spares or repair only'.

As I think you realise, without the necessary test equipment and technical skills, making 'one good one out of two' would definitely be a no, no!
Old 19th November 2019, 07:54 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
It's a jungle out there!

At least you appear to have encountered an honest seller who readily gave you a refund.

My advice would be to put the faulty player back at auction, at a very low starting price, descibed as being 'for spares or repair only'.

As I think you realise, without the necessary test equipment and technical skills, making 'one good one out of two' would definitely be a no, no!

Galu, thanks for your advice.

I will try to sell it on ebay.

I only bought this one as I really wanted to hear a CD with a TDA1541A DAC.

I'm still looking for a Marantz CD75, 65II or CD273 or whether to go for something newer like a Marantz CD63 SE KI as I do not want to go through the similar issue I had with CD75.

Now its about trying to find a genuine seller with a working unit at reasonable price.

Thanks guys for all the advice.
Old 19th November 2019, 08:02 PM   #19
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Marantz CD75, issues
That looks like the basic Philips CD150 to me. The displays were a known problem and are essentially unobtainable today.

LCD readout - broken ? or bad joints

Someone did a brilliant conversion using a PIC (I think) and new seven segment displays to replace these.

Found it:
NSM4202A LED Display Module Replacement for Philips / Sony CDM Transports
Old 19th November 2019, 09:59 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Now its about trying to find a genuine seller with a working unit at reasonable price.
Good luck with your quest.

Keep us posted!

Marantz CD75, issuesHide this!Advertise here!