Best way to go from S/PDIF input to RCA analog output with volume control?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hobbyists are allowed to talk drivel.
Professionals are not.

"Audiophiles" usually haven't got a clue what they are on about, but feel qualified to come out with loads of rubbish.
You have to get over this mysogenistic stereo-typed speel.

I know of many many absolute TOP audio engineers working in studios all over the world that are women. I employed one,as a student, one year doing a major music festival, and she was pretty competent.
(Elsa) was also French and quite pretty, but that had no bearing on it.
She earns her living in audio today.

A guy running one of the best studios I know in London defers to the opinion of his wife when she can hear when something is sub par, or simply fantastic.

I respect women's hearing immensely, plus I happen to have gifted daughters.

What hearing sensitivity they have to me, is a constant source of amazement, and they don't need some old fogeys to tell them what is good sound v bad.

Can any one recommend a board or project that has the following?:

1) optical input
2) analog RCA output
3) volume control (I find tons of boards that look okay, some I don't know if they have volume control, some I don't know if I can solder attenuator into the board)
4) takes the veils off

I have a case I want to use, connectors and transformers and electrical components I can use.

Warning: when you see my finished DAC you will want to throw your DAC in thrash :eek:

Wrong thread?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hello,

Jean-Paul's input is a wize one Imho...
How much you want to sound is you starting point.
Do your TV receive digital content, I mean do you realy need an audiophile gear here?
So what you are looking for is imo a cheap Toslink to RCA output. If you jump in the digital amplifier for 100 bucks, you need several digital inputs to plug also your CD player.
If the monney is the point, cheapest plug and play will be fine with your old camp, this last controling the volume.
Check for instance Hifimediy...you may find one for 20 bucks, end of the story and happy sound.

Last edited:
Trying to go from TV optical cable to amp with RCA inputs.
I have a giant receiver now and I'm sick of looking it and listening to it.
What make/model....most AV receivers since early 2000's have optical input.
Is there a good amp with digital/optical input?
I find tons of cheap amps with RCA input but not digital input.
There is an outstanding Yamaha stereo amp with optical inputs, I believe $800 or so, I can find out the model number.
If you want cheap as in second hand, pretty much any Sony/Pioneer/Yamaha/Denon/Onkyo etc will sound plenty fine enough for TV sound.

Dan.

DAC 2 - s-l1600.jpg

DAC Optical Toslink....USD $10.00 with remote volume control, byo phone charger.

I just want it to go from TOSLINK (optic fibre for about 10m) from a RME card on a big PC server thru a wall, to a SPDIF input on a notebook the other side.

I would check the quality of the DAC because we have no way at all to know how good/bad it is, but an output to headphones/unbalanced could be quite useful.

By the looks of it - would be dead easy to run off batteries too. (direct output from SPDIF on notebook, to compare with the headphone output on the studio sound card)....
Looks like a MUST BUY.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.