Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Best way to go from S/PDIF input to RCA analog output with volume control?
Best way to go from S/PDIF input to RCA analog output with volume control?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2019, 03:32 PM   #11
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Whoa! You just went from the idea of buying an el-cheapo DAC, with low-to-zero hifi merit, to now wanting an AK4499 DAC? For a TV setup. Seriously?

Actually one of the best-value commercial DAC's on the market - the Schiit Modi 3 (US$100 + delivery) just happens to have the AK4490 chip ...
but don't get stuck on a particular DAC chip - the best DAC's are usually the ones with well implemented circuits, particularly at the output stage.

I suggest you do some thinking about what it is you really want, and what would be a sensible budget for what you want. Then come back to this forum to ask advice, letting us know what those parameters are.
ie. how good do you want this system to sound? Do you just want basic improved clarity, genuine high fidelity for music programs, or earth-shattering effects for movies? Stereo, or 5.1 surround? What is your existing amplifier? What are your existing speakers?

Then again, since you said you don't have time to build stuff, the people over on the Audiokarma forum possibly have some better ideas about off-the-shelf products.
Old 21st October 2019, 03:48 AM   #12
Jimmy154 is offline Jimmy154  United States
diyAudio Member

The boards in the pics have volume adjustment or input selector or both or neither?

I think I have to buy something already built, because I'm going to have a hard time building something nice.

I don't like a lot of the connectors on the boards I've seen. I don't know about the other parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zboard.jpg (77.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg zzboard.jpg (90.2 KB, 157 views)
Old 21st October 2019, 04:10 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I was going to buy this thing:

Teardown of the Emotiva DC-1 DAC | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Looked good to me; guess I don't know what I'm looking at
Old 22nd October 2019, 03:23 PM   #14
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Mmm, better read the conclusions.

Quote:
Conclusions:
From safety point of view, the Emotiva DC-1 gets a failing grade from me. There is no excuse for not grounding the chassis to the ground terminal of the IEC jack.

Overall layout good with fair amount of engineering going into the many components there.

Hand soldering work is poor as is the horrible selection of cheap and unreliable capacitors that are bound to fail. Not acceptable at this price point.
Did you check the suggestion to try an FDA? Or do you already have made up your mind and just ask questions for fun?

Last edited by jean-paul; 22nd October 2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 22nd October 2019, 03:40 PM   #15
scott17 is offline scott17
diyAudio Member

As a side note to the OP, regardless of which DAC you end up getting, this is a nice addition, a 3-way optical switch:
https://smile.amazon.com/eSynic-Swit...1754803&sr=8-2

I use the same amp and speakers for optical from the TV, computer, and CD player, so this works great. I use a Logitech universal remote, so I just programmed the optical switch codes into the Logitech. I built a small chassis to house the DAC, the optical switch, and a remote ALPS volume control, which is also programmed into the Logitech remote. Works great for me.
Old 30th October 2019, 01:45 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy154 View Post
Who me?

A lot of options.
I spent hours looking for products (boards/chips, etc); but I can't really build something right now, I think.

This chip seems okay:
AD1955 Datasheet and Product Info | Analog Devices

Of course I don't know most of the specs
All this seems great:
120 dB SNR/DNR (not muted) at 48KHz Sample Rate (A-Weighted Stereo)
123 dB SNR/DNR (Mono)
-110 dB THD+N
110 dB Stopband Attenuation with 0.0002dB Passband Ripple

Found a DAC using this chip in Dual mono setup, I believe, already built. I don't have time to build

Favoring the AK4490-AK4499, seems like a lot of people on here are using the AK449x chips.

These chips have -112 dB THD+N or lower, but it's so low already, I would think it doesn't matter anymore. But I don't know if any of this is audible of course.

Maybe I'll find a DAC kit (or complete DIY DAC) some one wants to sell or buy a AK4490 kit online.
I usually just buy whatever some one wants to get rid of.

I was eating my kids leftovers last night and was thinking: I don't even remember what I like to eat anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Did you check the suggestion to try an FDA? Or do you already have made up your mind and just ask questions for fun?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy154 View Post
DAC stays on the table, amp goes out of sight
I looked at a NAD yesterday.
I wanted to buy a Geek Pulse DAC headphone amp yesterday, but don't know what I'm buying at all.
I just look at build quality mostly; that's what I have to go by.

I guess I could buy any tiny DAC.
But I don't need it to be tiny, just not huge.
Old 30th October 2019, 02:04 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Looking for something that looks roughly this build quality and size.
Might have to build it myself.
I don't want some mass produced sheet metal case with cheap connectors, knobs, buttons, etc.
I have a case I like I have been saving for years now.
But I think if I build something it will take me forever.

LH LABS GEEK PULSE DAC any good?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zdac.jpg (216.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg zzdac.jpg (153.8 KB, 115 views)
Old 30th October 2019, 02:16 PM   #18

Again, with an FDA you don't need a DAC and amplifier as it is both in 1 case. Saves space, is cheaper and has a lot of positive features but it is of course not ideal.

FX-Audio D802 is quite OK (for TV use anyway).

https://www.amazon.com/D802-192KHz-D.../dp/B00WU696PC

Last edited by jean-paul; 30th October 2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 30th October 2019, 04:33 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Again, with an FDA you don't need a DAC and amplifier as it is both in 1 case. Saves space, is cheaper and has a lot of positive features but it is of course not ideal.

FX-Audio D802 is quite OK (for TV use anyway).

Amazon.com: FX Audio D802 2x80W 192KHz Digital Remote Power Amplifier with USB Cable (Black): Electronics
I figure my TV is complete trash anyway. That DAC does not have RCA out.

I need a DAC (or something else?) with:

1) optical input
2) RCA output
3) volume control

The DAC will sit on the cabinet.
The stereo amp with RCA inputs, maybe XLR also, will be inside the cabinet, out of site.
Also I can easily change amps this way, when I want.
I like amps with a lot of bass and kind of know what I'm looking to buy, also I also have analog amps I want to try.

I do not want a giant "audiophile" amp/setup on my cabinet.

Actually it's funny I often can't tell when I am listening to TV speakers or my speakers.
Guess my wife is right, you can't tell the difference between speakers

However, I am surprised how much I can tell the difference in amps/receivers though.
I use a giant Pioneer Elite 7-channel receiver now, that I have no idea how to use; I'm not sure anyone does to be honest; 350 page manual, roughly.

I use it because it has optical input. It sounds much better than my last receiver: a Denon.

Best setup I had was years ago: sound blaster card from PC to LM3875 chip amp with Brian GT boards, I think.
To Eton 8-800 in Aperiodic vented boxed (heavily braced) and LPG tweeters. I've half-a$$ed everything since
Love the bass from that Eton, "fast" "pulse response" I think Eton calls it.

Last edited by Jimmy154; 30th October 2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 30th October 2019, 07:29 PM   #20

It is not a DAC it is a realitively new principle and it is all you seem to need but never mind. If you don’t grasp it that is OK too

Best way to go from S/PDIF input to RCA analog output with volume control?Hide this!Advertise here!